more experiments with high key (kid pics)

rufus5150

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.toddmckimmey.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The last time my daughter wanted to play in the sink I ended up getting some fairly decent shots to work with and try some high-key stuff during post. She wanted to play in the mirror again so who was I to say no?

My last set I think was better but I'm still experimenting with highlights using diffused glows and the ilk and at least one of these really moves out of the 'picture' realm.

Any C&C of course welcome.

1. Oh, Hi There (this image didn't start out as sharp as it needed to be)
zoe_oh_hello_there_4x5.jpg

2. Turning away (I'd intended to do a gradient map for a B&W conversion except black was set on like 39% grey... and I liked it, so I left it)
zoe_turn_away.jpg

3. I think I might have overdone the diffuse glow here a bit
zoe_dreamy_4x5.jpg

4. Contemplating
zoe_mirror_contemplation_5x7.jpg

C&C per req:

1. Nicely done, love the expression and perfect exposure on the face. I think a diffuser upper image right might have helped to prevent the blowing out of the highlights on her hair.

2. Very nice, like the effect.

3. A bit soft for my tastes, but again, nice pose & expression.

4. I think this would have been better shot from a slightly lower position so that you could see a little bit more of her face and eyes.

Overall, Really nice work, excellent lighting, and good job on her eyes!

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

I love what you have done with the second one. Photography is but an art and that one truly is creative. On a side note, your daughter has lovely eyes. :)

1&3 are my favorite. The bright background makes my eyes squint.
nice shots, photogenic kid.

Nice series. Love #1 and #3. 2 is interesting, but not my cup of tea. I agree with tirediron about #4, more of her face would have been nice.

Overall though, beautiful pictures of a beautiful girl. Kind of creepy though, she looks a LOT like my youngest....so much so I just showed your pictures to my wife and she thought is was our daughter. She thought I took a really awesome shot!

Here is my youngest (a little hot as we were at a soccer game and it was 104)

2750951270_0d97524005.jpg

My biggest issue with these (i should preface by saying I like them a lot aside from this) is that there is too much either surface blur or gaussian blur or noiseware or portraiture or whateverhaveyou done on her. The eyes are very scary in the first one and she looks nearly porcelin. I don't see any pores on her face!

Love LOVE the second one but dislike the lack of contrast. I like the soft gray but it just needs a bump (to my personal taste of course!)

3 doesn't do it for me in expression or composition.

4 is the best and my favorite. I think this would look stunning in a warm b&w

Thanks for all the feedback, folks.

... there is too much either surface blur or gaussian blur or noiseware or portraiture or whateverhaveyou done on her

I agree they're soft. The 3rd one was meant to be really soft but I agree I probably went too far.

There's very little in the way of modification done. I had to shoot at iso 400 so I applied a 35% luminance NR out of camera raw, the exposure adjustment. Below is the first image out of the camera (with one correction of the minor wound on her nose healed out, no one needs to see that). Here's it out of the camera with white balance, exposure and said wound removed, and the 35% NR:

ohhithere_orig.jpg

The image is a little soft, but she's got crazy soft skin too. The fact that the light is above her for the most part (the white walls provide the only thing for catchlights) and it's 3 tungsten lights in the room, her pupils are huge which makes her look a wee bit crazy, I definitely agree. (Of course, then, she's related to me, so yeah, crazy might fit.)

Love LOVE the second one but dislike the lack of contrast.

Thanks. I need to recalibrate my monitor or something. This looks GREAT on my monitor here, but was really washed out on my monitor at work. I'm definitely going to retry this one.

Most reactions

Back