More Militaria C&C

*snap* indeed

how's that crow taste, money?

Heres the big thing. That picture is modern not from 60 some years ago. Uniforms change over time.

that may be.
however, what irked me was how matter of fact you were about the whole thing, and how wiki should never be trusted.
it's not ALL 'idiots' posting whatever they want.

I never said its all idiots, i said idiots which implies there are idiots out there but not everyone are

oi.

ok dude...you're right...you didnt say "all"...the flags were fine...you're awesome.

better now?:hug::

The rule dates back to the Army's early history, when both mounted cavalry and infantry units would designate a standard bearer, who carried the Colors into battle. As he charged, his forward momentum caused the flag to stream back. Since the Stars and Stripes are mounted with the canton closest to the pole, that section stayed to the right, while the stripes flew to the left.

it's from about.com, if you can trust them...

The rule dates back to the Army's early history, when both mounted cavalry and infantry units would designate a standard bearer, who carried the Colors into battle. As he charged, his forward momentum caused the flag to stream back. Since the Stars and Stripes are mounted with the canton closest to the pole, that section stayed to the right, while the stripes flew to the left.

it's from about.com, if you can trust them...

no, he only trusts his fellow reenactors that would NEVER let something like this slip by.:lmao:

that may be.
however, what irked me was how matter of fact you were about the whole thing, and how wiki should never be trusted.
it's not ALL 'idiots' posting whatever they want.

I never said its all idiots, i said idiots which implies there are idiots out there but not everyone are

Don't insult my brethren! :grumpy:

I can't find any images on the 'net regarding WWII Airborne uniforms where the US flag is displayed.

Uniforms

At the event I attended, I shoot some "screaming eagles" and after going through my shots just now, I realized they weren't wearing US flags on their combat uniforms.

526609283_moqEQ-L.jpg

527630925_oGcMC-L.jpg

It might have been a unit thing? I honestly don't know. <shrug>

enterprise_atop_747_flags-thumb.jpg

A right side view of the Space Shuttle Orbiter Enterprise and its specially-modified 747 transport aircraft being towed to the Weight and Thrust Hangar for vibration testing. Location: EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE, CALIFORNIA (CA) UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (USA) Camera Operator: SSGT D. J. NIEUWSMA Date Shot: 10 Feb 1977

intempus,
the reason for not seeing flags on the costumes you shoot during reenactments might be because they are honoring this little tidbit as well...

"The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, firefighters, police officers, and members of patriotic organizations."

(but dont tell moneybags...he wont believe you)

nope.
stars forward. always.

*edit*
from wiki.

"Note that on US Military combat uniforms, where the flag is put on the sleeve of the uniform, the flag patch is displayed with the stars facing forward, in the direction the wearer is facing. This is done to give the impression of the flag flowing in the wind while being carried forward across the battlefield."

thank you and goodnight.

He's actually right.

Well, maybe these re-enactors not only have their flags correct, but they only charge backwards.

Most reactions

Back