More Milky Way from Anza Borrego

MikeFlorendo

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just a couple more shots from Anza Borrgeo. We are going back on Monday to find more sculptures. My son is on spring break.

Anza_camel_web.jpg
Anza_road_web.jpg
Anza_me_web.jpg

You just started trying out shooting the milky way right? Your processing of the stars is nicely done. All of the photos are a little purple on the WB for my tastes, but that comes down to personal preference really

I like the first one because that is obviously at least 2 photos right? I don't think the camels would stay still for...I'm guessing 30 seconds?

What was the thought process behind the 3rd photo?

I like the first one because that is obviously at least 2 photos right? I don't think the camels would stay still for...I'm guessing 30 seconds?

What was the thought process behind the 3rd photo?

The camels are metal sculptures so 1 photo. The third is lost in the desert looking for more sculptures. :)

You just started trying out shooting the milky way right? Your processing of the stars is nicely done. All of the photos are a little purple on the WB for my tastes, but that comes down to personal preference really

Yes this is my third attempt. Lets process another and see what it looks like with the purple dialed down.

Ok I see what your saying. Thanks-

Anza_me_WB1.jpg

Anza_scoprpian_WB1.jpg

I always wondered about the true colors of the milky way are? I have seen people process them several different ways but to be accurate I wonder what colors they actually are? You obviously know when you look at it with the naked eye it just looks cloudy or maybe I just have not looked hard enough? Basically just wondering if the processing is just artistic license on color or are there true colors lets say with a telescope?

I always wondered about the true colors of the milky way are? I have seen people process them several different ways but to be accurate I wonder what colors they actually are? You obviously know when you look at it with the naked eye it just looks cloudy or maybe I just have not looked hard enough? Basically just wondering if the processing is just artistic license on color or are there true colors lets say with a telescope?

Processing on the new ones looks great, especially the scorpion one. Light painting is HARD to get it to look natural. I'm decent at it but there are some people who do a really nice subtle job with light painting, certainly less of a pain than doing tons of 5,6,8+ minute long foreground exposures.

So that is a subject of contention, as far as the true colors of the MW. Some people are "purists", then there are some who like to crank up some colors (Michael Shainblum is a good example, you'll see a lot of purples and such in his photos. I love his work, just saying). They say technically it is a sort of pale yellow color, at least the giant clusters of stars right around Sagittarius and the core. I will process each scene differently, but I try to get most of the sky fairly neutral. Obviously there will always be some color in the night sky, but I don't like to go too cool or warm on the WB. David Kingham has a great trick for dialing in the white balance if you search around for it. You're off to a damn good start though

Processing on the new ones looks great, especially the scorpion one. Light painting is HARD to get it to look natural. I'm decent at it but there are some people who do a really nice subtle job with light painting, certainly less of a pain than doing tons of 5,6,8+ minute long foreground exposures.

So that is a subject of contention, as far as the true colors of the MW. Some people are "purists", then there are some who like to crank up some colors (Michael Shainblum is a good example, you'll see a lot of purples and such in his photos. I love his work, just saying). They say technically it is a sort of pale yellow color, at least the giant clusters of stars right around Sagittarius and the core. I will process each scene differently, but I try to get most of the sky fairly neutral. Obviously there will always be some color in the night sky, but I don't like to go too cool or warm on the WB. David Kingham has a great trick for dialing in the white balance if you search around for it. You're off to a damn good start though

Yeah I have seen Michael's photos on IG but the photos are so small it's hard to get a real feel for it. Yes he does a lot of color. I will research David Kingman, thanks-

Thanks for the kind words I try very hard and it means more when I know the person saying it has sick Milky Way shots. I still have to get started on PS. I started and then realized camera RAW is basically Lightroom which I already work in. Should have skipped that chapter. :)

Not too bad. I'm planning on going out this spring a little later. May or so so I don't have to be up all night. What time of night are you out there for these?
I would like to get the Milky Way going pretty much straight up.

The Serpent below is north of town but not far from the scorpion. This is looking east but it might work looking south too.
141213-6317-Edit-M.jpg

This is south of town and the one I want to do next.
141127-6227hdr-M.jpg

Not too bad. I'm planning on going out this spring a little later. May or so so I don't have to be up all night. What time of night are you out there for these?

The Serpent below is north of town but not far from the scorpion. This is looking east but it might work looking south too.
141213-6317-Edit-M.jpg

141127-6227hdr-M.jpg

if you want the MW straight up, later in the summer is better. Around August/September it's pretty much vertical

These are very nice. I like the one with the road to the milky way.

141213-6317-Edit-M.jpg

141127-6227hdr-M.jpg

if you want the MW straight up, later in the summer is better. Around August/September it's pretty much vertical

I know but I got too excited and had to go try knowing that it was at least out in the am. These were all shot from 3am to 5:30.

141213-6317-Edit-M.jpg

141127-6227hdr-M.jpg

I bought the guide book for $4.99 :)

Summer is best but that's when it's the hottest as well. So I will try split the difference. My little Night Sky Chart say May 20th at 1-2AM would be about right.
Last summer I went up to Lone Pine which is by Death Valley for some dark sky.
0623-LonePine-2441-4x3-M.jpg

What lens are you using? I have a Sigma 35mm, 1.4 and a Canon 16-35, 2.8 that I use. I would like to get the new Sigma 24MM, 1.4. I like my 35MM best right now.

The new sigma 24art is no good for astro work. Has really bad coma

Most reactions

Back