More Rats - C&C Appreciated. Trying Out Something

Caity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well... Yesterday I had the harebrained idea to create a beauty dish.

Out of a turkey pan, a clear liter bottle, some aluminum foil, and tape. I remember seeing this online at some point in time, I dug around for the link and set to work. Took me about ten minutes. Unfortunately a person would be much better for this... Pretty sure it's not even functioning as it should because a rat is so small. But hey. Get's the shot, right?

1)
IMG_2784.jpg

2) Color is off...
IMG_2777.jpg

Then we went back to just simply bouncing the flash....

3)
IMG_2833_edited-1.jpg

4) Yep, the focus is on the nose and whiskers. Not her eyes.
IMG_2838.jpg

I think it's improvement... But I really need a person to model. *sighs*

I think the first one rocks. Great composure and good lighting.

The second is probably my least favorite and I think it has something to do with the composition more then the color. There are now feet and the rat is kind of shoved in the frame; I personally like to see some support.

The third is warm, but still a good shot.

The last one is my second favorite shot. I only wish the DOF was a little deeper. But even now, I think it works, and it looks full of personality.

Really like the 1st shot! These are the best rat photo's I have seen on here so far. Good Job!

Thanks you two! That second one I think is a throwaway... The others are far better. I agree... Now that I look at it again it's just not "popping" for me. I agree about the composition. That and she just doesn't look comfortable.

Dom we have the same favorites... 1 closely followed by 4.

OH! This was also my first time using the external flash NOT on the hot shoe of my camera... I dig this a LOT more than having it mounted on the camera. More wiggle room it seems.

My set up was very... I'll call it ghetto. I had set up two stools, used a full length door mirror propped up against one with a black t-shirt on it, and a black shirt laid on the stool the mirror was against. Then the other stool was set off to the left and had a desk lamp on it, which I diffused just with a piece of typing paper. Then I had my tripod for the external flash (with and without "turkey dish") off to the right. I shot between the tripod and the second stool.

Laughing is allowed

I used two different blacks instead of a black sheet to seperate the background and the foreground... Since I don't have a back light for that small of an area. Do you think that was a good idea or bad idea? To me it comes through in the photos but not sure if it was all too wonderful of an idea.

No. 1 for the win. Fill from left would be nice, possibly with a 1/4 CTB gel to give it that two-tone look.

I'm going to try this same set up in daylight and see if using ambient window light as a filler has any efficacy.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I took 67 shots, had 12 I liked, and (now looking at them more critically) 3 worth posting here. Compared to what it USED to be... Shooting 150-200 shots and liking maybe 20 or so but having 1-2 worth posting for C&C I am getting better.

And I am going to find a person willing to sit in front of that turkey pan if it's the last thing I do! :waiting:

I think the first one rocks. Great composure and good lighting.

The second is probably my least favorite and I think it has something to do with the composition more then the color. There are now feet and the rat is kind of shoved in the frame; I personally like to see some support.

The third is warm, but still a good shot.

The last one is my second favorite shot. I only wish the DOF was a little deeper. But even now, I think it works, and it looks full of personality.

^+1.

"Dizactly!"

If you like "ghetto" lighting gear, maybe you'd like to try my own,personal, I-invented-this idea from the 1980's: buy a small styrofoam ice chest, the kind that cost like $1.99 at a cheap-o store and are sold primarily during the summer months. Cut a hole in the bottom, so that your flash fits tightly. A serrated steak knife is the tool of choice for the cut.

Use a piece of tracing paper as a "diffusion panel", held in place by tape or push pins. You now have a small, ultra light-weight softbox with a total cost of about $2.00. Perfect for photographing small scenes.

That's a great little idea. I never would have thought of that, and it totally makes sense.

Love #1 like everyone else.

Caity, it also make sme think of something else for you to try with the rat.

High Key and Low Key shots.

Pretty sure i found how to do this on youtube actually...ill try for a link in a little bit

I LOVE the ghetto softbox idea. I am all for ghetto-fabulous gadgets... I am not a professional and I'm not quite making enough money to buy everything I'd LOVE to have for my hobby... what with a wife who is going through school, a baby on the way, pets, and all that. Just not plausible right now. And that's cool. Ghetto works for me for what I am doing at this point. :) So thanks for that, Derrel! I think we might actually have one of these in our storage closet... If not I know where I can get one! Going to try it out ASAP.

Bitter Jeweler... Perfect. I'm going to try those ideas either tonight or tomorrow. I'll be sure to post the results!

I know rats are extremely different than people, but I hope in some way this is preparing me for people... In some small way.

Most reactions

Back