Love having a junior for a daughter, I get to practice, practice practice

PLEASE CC
11981205303_7b52cf589d_k.jpg

11981218624_d5d77a5c8b_k.jpg

11981186493_3baabac409_h.jpg

11981008265_5cb209972a_h.jpg

Not an expert but the lighting seems very even and flattering. Nicely done

Not too bad.

For images 1 and 2, when you sharpened the subject, did you also sharpen the hair? It could be me, but it looks like you have some sharpening artifacts that show in the hair of the first 2 images. If you are using photoshop, I would "smart sharpen" what you need to LEAVING OUT the hair.

Also for 1 and 2, maybe the flash is a TINY too strong?

Lets see what some others say...

I only sharpened the eyes - maybe i should have softened the hair a bit. Thank you for your input

I won't mention the cliche tree shot of #1 [too late ;)], but I feel your lighting is harsh and you lost too much of the ambient lighting in the background (high shutter spped?). The lighting looks much better and controlled on the rest.

I like #2, the ambient is still a little low, but it keeps it less distracting, but you can still see there's a fence/trees in the background. subject is really popping. Maybe try to recover a little highlights and warm it up just a tad?

wish your exif wasn't stripped of camera setting data...

how can i post the exif

In number 2 the shadow under the nose is very unflattering, I'd tilt her chin towards the flash just a hair to diffuse it a little. Other than that I think 3 has the best lighting, one is good, but a touch harsh, and four just, to me now, the lighting is good, but seems to flat, not enough depth.

Hi, Rosy. Shall I assume that your daughter is in #s 1,3&4? She is beautiful, and I really like her smile!

#1 Could use a reflector camera right.
#2 Very nice!
#3 Also very good, but the well-lighted shrub behind her head is distracting.
#4 Excellent pose, frame and light. Frame just an ensy bit lower. Move your model farther away from the background and it should just about disappear. Particularly if you keep the light off of it.

Hi, Rosy. Shall I assume that your daughter is in #s 1,3&4? She is beautiful, and I really like her smile!

#1 Could use a reflector camera right.
#2 Very nice!
#3 Also very good, but the well-lighted shrub behind her head is distracting.
#4 Excellent pose, frame and light. Frame just an ensy bit lower. Move your model farther away from the background and it should just about disappear. Particularly if you keep the light off of it.

Thank you, but nope - she's one of my daughter's Senior friend from volleyball. They won States and I offered to take Senior pictures for them

Thank you for taking the time to CC these - I apprecaite it

uploaded image in sRGB to see the difference

sRGB
11988961085_c85a42dcbf_k.jpg

Last edited:
help me understand -

I am viewing the top image in CS5 and the lighting is not harsh and her hair is nice and soft HONEST - yet when I see it on the forum even in sRGB I still see the harsh light and sharpened hair

I don't see any difference whatsoever between the first one, and this last one you posted. I even stacked them and went back and forth, nothing changed when sliding the first across the second.

Picture comparison - YouTube

I don't see any difference whatsoever between the first one, and this last one you posted. I even stacked them and went back and forth, nothing changed when sliding the first across the second.

Picture comparison - YouTube

Thank you for doing this. My question though is why am I seeing it different on my screen and in photoshop compared to when I am seeing it on the forum..same monitor. I see the harshness and over sharpenned appearance on the forum image
Could Flickr be altering it?

flickr performs a bit of sharpening on their resizes, and attaching the images here, instead of linking directly from the flickr page using the BBCode, also degrades the image more.

You also my have some colorspace issues on your computer. I fubared something on a Photoshop install once where everything looked one way, but when I'd save it out (and I didn't keep the the same color profile) it looked completely different when viewed anywhere else but PS.

Some computer screens cover more color gamuts than others.

I'm using a screen that covers 98% of Adobe RGB and over 100% of sRGB, which is the color space that works best for uploading to the web.

If your monitor doesn't have that wide of a color gamut then you won't see that much of a difference between images.

I believe most consumer cheaper or older screens show close to 100% RGB but something like 50-70% Adobe RGB

yeah but is dumbfounding me is - it is the SAME monitor - yet it looks different on the CS5 application vs the forum

Most reactions

Back