More than a macro lens? Canon.

Dragonfly..shotz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, if I understand some reviews I have read, this lens f/2.8 100mm USM can also be used for day to day photography including portraits and landscape photography? Did I read that right? Thanks for any info.

That is right - any macro lens can be used just as an ordinary lens can be. The only downsides are that macro lenses tend to be a little heavier (on average) and also have a slower focusing system to a normal prime of the same focal length.
This is due to the extra elements which allow the lens to focus at very close quarters (thus allowing for macro) along with the fact that most macro lenses don't have a fasy autofocusing - its not a prime nessesity for macro work and the long range of focusing.
check out my last post here in this thread for a show of a sigma macro lens being used for ducks:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131123

Fantastic, thanks for the fast response Overread and I checked your thread, great result. If using the lens on a 40D, do you need to set the camera to macro on the dial to take a macro shot? (still learning how to set the camera manually)

Fantastic, thanks for the fast response Overread and I checked your thread, great result. If using the lens on a 40D, do you need to set the camera to macro on the dial to take a macro shot? (still learning how to set the camera manually)

The only problem I have with using my 100mm f2.8 macro for portraits is if I have a subject with some facial blemishes. It is so sharp it shows pores. :wink:

Dragonfly - nope you don't need to set the camera to macro at all. The preset settings on the dial only go as far as to tell the camera to choose settings (aperture, ISO and shutterspeed) that tend to work well for that kind of work - so in sports mode it is told to choose a high shutter speed to capture movement - whilst in macro I (suspect) its told to choose a larger f number (thus a smaller aperture) whilst in landscape mode its told to pick a very small aperture (much larger f -number)
Getting the macro results requires one thing - getting right up close to your subject and pressing the shutter button! ;)
Also - as soon as you feel ready - get into av mode - that is aperture priority mode and is a very popular mode to use. It lets you set the apterture (f number) and thus control the depth of field of your shots - Get Understanding Exposure - a good book for explaining all about exposure in cameras - latest edition also edite for the digital age

I love my 100mm f2.8 -- it's an outstanding macro lens and a superb 100mm prime.

sleepingme.jpg

longwing.jpg

That is right - any macro lens can be used just as an ordinary lens can be.

Careful with the blanket statements. The Canon MP-E 65mm 1-5X Macro Lens for instance can not be used as a normal lens. But indeed most variable focus macro lenses can be used although the ones I have used perform far better at 1:1 than at any "normal" distance. Infact my 105mm MicroNikkor is horrid at infinity focus.

I also have the Canon EF 100 mm f/2.8 macro USM and a 40D. It is an extremely sharp lens for non-macro uses, but the focal length is a bit long for indoor portraits.

Most reactions

Back