Morgan Mare - Making Her Stand Out

Saddlebreds4me

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

I went to the barn today and shot some photos of this mare - the owners are looking to sell her, so I wanted to get the best shots I could with what I had. Because this is the time of year that horses get their winter coats, she actually got body clipped and looks a bit grey to me - any suggestions on making her "pop" for an ad in a print publication? Her normal color is dark bay or almost black - but definitely NOT black. I was playing with color saturation and fill light but wanted to see if someone had any other ideas.

Thanks for the help!

DSC_0461.jpg

DSC_0450.jpg

DSC_0538.jpg

Right is original as you posted...Left is simple edit.

Darken a touch using levels, unsharpmask, increase exposure a touch.

horseedit.jpg

Thank you both! DRoberts, I like the added definition you provided in your edit - I think it makes this mare's beauty come through just a tad more.

Thanks again!

Thanks! I think so too! She really is as cute as a button - with the personality to match. This is only the second time I've shot her so I was working hard to find the cadence of her stride (something when shooting horses, you quickly need to assess! LOL!). I think she's just gorgeous!

amazing! I'd love a horse, my mum had one when she was younger

Don't get me started :) It's NEVER too late!!! I know that when I become too old to ride, (I'm only 38 now so hopefully I've got a few more years!) but then I will drive - and after that - I will have them out in my pastures to greet me every morning. They do need to come with a surgeon general's warning about addiction though!

They are better than any PhD therapist ever thought of being!! LOL!

yes, absolutely... they are addictive. I have three... :blushing: I'm a re-rider at 32 and I LOVE it... :mrgreen: Of course I am eyeing up the saddle and wondering if I should get a cutback or dressage saddle for my Tennessee Walker - although I am jumping her and that may not be a good idea... hmmm...

Go cutback...go cutback....LOL!

No really do whatever makes your heart get up and dance. I love all disciplines but the Saddlebreds and Morgans and TWH really have captured my heart!

I rode QH and Morgans for years but had always admired the Saddlebred. In 1996 I got my first one and never looked back. I really want one to do dressage with before I die - It's on my "bucket list". :lol:

This may be a stupid question, but can you still jump in a cutback saddle? I have an All Purpose Collegiate that lets me sit more deep seated then a hunter/jumper saddle, but I can still jump fairly well in it. Doing a hunter pace this month...

I actually never wanted gaited breeds but my new mare became available, and I couldn't say no.... I'm having a blast with her being gaited, though - no posting in the saddle... woohoo! :)

I've done it :) I would say if you are just playing around it's fine - if you really want to pursue it I'd go for the hunter/jumper type saddle. Your all purpose saddle also sounds like it should be fine for what your are doing as well.

I have a two year old who is just starting to rack - and you know what they say "once you rack, you never go back!" A good slow gait and/or rack is about as smooth as they come if you have a horse that does it correctly.

How about posting some photos of your "kids"? I would love to see them! Or if you don't want them on the board and would send me a PM that would be great!

Here's me on my TWH the other day --- trying to break in my field boots. She's soooo dirty here though with her bushy winter coat. She's 5 years old, but acts like she's 10. ;)

mepippi.jpg

My daughter on her champaigne paint TWH/QH cross (she could have been gaited, but someone broke her gait years ago - she bobs her head at her trot, like she is gaited. I dont' think it is possible after all these years to bring back her gait).

funshow3.jpg

storm2.jpg

my son on his Percheron/quarterhorse.... (you can see the pain he is in with her doing her draft horse trot - bareback dollar game wasn't a good idea on her! lolol!)

funshow6.jpg

Ohhh such beautiful horses!!! I love horse pictures- being the horse lover that I am! :lovey: I have 2 as well, grew up with horses and couldn't possibly imagine ever living with out them! I'm surprised there are not more horsie pictures on this forum, so I was very happy to see these! Kepp 'em coming!

JodieO - Just beautiful!!! I have such a soft spot for palominos & greys! :)

oOoNERYNoOo -W do you have (breed(s)) and do you have photos to share?

Now I am thinking in addition to some CC on photos we might also want to start a horse thread on the photo themes board - does that do anything for anyone?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back