Morning Mist - C&C please

Mazzarooney

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are 3 pics I took when I first got my DSLR. Really need some help, not sure if I am a liitle out of my league on this site!!! I am loving learning but I am afraid I am a bit of a point and shoot! Help me please.

0122.jpg

016.jpg

013.jpg

Last edited:
Mist/fog is werid to shoot. It's never the same as your brain interprets it from your eyes. I would say number 3 does the best job of conveying the scene.

I agree. #3 is the best, though I'd argue it would look better if there was less sky and more land.

colors look flat, but then again, you were shooting mist...that'll mute the colors for sure :D
nothing wrong with these.

and you are definitely NOT out of your league on this site.
tons of knowledge on here.
welcome!

Next time definitely do some exposure bracketing - these pics look underexposed and that's because fog\mist tricks the metering system - so you want to try maybe a +/- 1 stop for each pic.

Pic 1 -lots of potential - I like the graphic quality of the fence posts and stumps - I think that if you shot them as the focal point \ subject at an angle, it would look a lot better - instead of them being at the same distance, I would have moved to the left, pretty close to the fence, and shot down that line - mayne focusing on the tree.

Pic 2 - the tree branch coming in from the top left is in focus, the barn is out of focus - I assume that wasn't intentional - I would have shot the barn in focus, and branch either out of focus, or out of the frame all together

Pic 3 - is the sky had some interesting clouds or colors, okay - but there's nothing there - pay attention to that next time - crop out boring skies if you can - and try your hardest to get a boring \ bland sky out of the composition - that pic would look real good if it was framed tighter, and 1 stop brighter.

Just keep shooting - takes a while till you get to the next "plateau".

ya i dont c any focus point..shots are honestly boring for me...

Next time definitely do some exposure bracketing - these pics look underexposed and that's because fog\mist tricks the metering system - so you want to try maybe a +/- 1 stop for each pic.

Pic 1 -lots of potential - I like the graphic quality of the fence posts and stumps - I think that if you shot them as the focal point \ subject at an angle, it would look a lot better - instead of them being at the same distance, I would have moved to the left, pretty close to the fence, and shot down that line - mayne focusing on the tree.

Pic 2 - the tree branch coming in from the top left is in focus, the barn is out of focus - I assume that wasn't intentional - I would have shot the barn in focus, and branch either out of focus, or out of the frame all together

Pic 3 - is the sky had some interesting clouds or colors, okay - but there's nothing there - pay attention to that next time - crop out boring skies if you can - and try your hardest to get a boring \ bland sky out of the composition - that pic would look real good if it was framed tighter, and 1 stop brighter.

Just keep shooting - takes a while till you get to the next "plateau".

Thanks so much for all of your constructive comments, I certainly have a bit to learn, but really enjoying it!

colors look flat, but then again, you were shooting mist...that'll mute the colors for sure :D
nothing wrong with these.

and you are definitely NOT out of your league on this site.
tons of knowledge on here.
welcome!

Many thanks, it's good to know I may have some talent!!!

I say the third one is the best! Maybe it could do with some cropping though.

now that i look at 3 it kind of peaks my interest. it would be a ton better if the sun was out just a tad more and giving some glow. maybe a tad more saturation too. people in brown county indiana go crazy over this type of photography.

Really need some help, not sure if I am a liitle out of my league on this site!!!
This is the beginners forum...no one is out-of-their-league in here.

And anyone can get better at photography (or anything else) if they have the desire to get better and believe in themselves.

Start with the basics:

Digital Photography Tips For Beginners

Get to know your camera. Understand exposure. Learn to see the light. Teach your eye to see. Learn as much as you can about composition. Push yourself to try different things.

More advanced stuff:

Digital Photography Tutorials

See if there are any photography clubs or groups in your area and join them. Many clubs and groups have monthly photo outings where you can hang out with other shooters and learn from them first hand.

Keep shooting and learn how to critique your own work.

I like #1 its the only one that doesnt look flat color wise.

Most reactions

Back