Most Useful "Mini" Tripod

SunnyHours

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi
I'm on the market for a very small tripod to put in my photo bag so that on the occasion I'd need a tripod I do have one. I do not have the money for a Carbon Fiber tripod and a monopod is out of the question since it'd be used for mainly long exposures... I also already own a full size tripod, albeit ****ty but heavy and too big.

I'm looking at the Joby Gorillapod. Or the cheap small optex kind available for 30$ with a basic head...
Now the thing I'm wondering is how useful would the Gorillapod be over the "standard" small tripod?
Anyone who used the 2 who could chime in for some hands-on experience would be very appreciated :)

I have a Gorillapod SLR and it's very useful. It's more than just a tripod because with a normal tripod you need a flat, level surface (or reasonably so) to put it on, but the Gorillapod... well you can be creative.

My favorite Gorillapod moment was when I wrapped it around the railing on the balcony of my hotel room so I could take a long exposure of the L.A. traffic. I never let go of the camera strap 'cause I did NOT want my D7000 plummeting 10 stories to its doom, but in the end the Gorillapod did not give me a reason to worry. :)

I have the Gorillapod SLR version as well and it works well and stuffs easily into a side pocket. Best to get the ball head version, though. It will save you tons of time trying to bend the thing into the right shape.

I have the Gorillapod SLR version as well and it works well and stuffs easily into a side pocket. Best to get the ball head version, though. It will save you tons of time trying to bend the thing into the right shape.
This is what I was thinking too...I'm kinda surprised that a novelty item like this actually works pretty well.
Thanks for the replies!

SunnyHours said:
This is what I was thinking too...I'm kinda surprised that a novelty item like this actually works pretty well.
Thanks for the replies!

I really wouldn't call it a "novelty" item. Just don't get the cheap one, especially if you're using it for a DSLR with all the fixin's.

I have a pretty small photographic accessory that's handy: it is a small C-clamp type of clamp with a 2.5 inch jaw span, and on top of the clamp is a ratcheted, 180 degree adjustable, lockable 1/4x20 N.C. tripod thread. On top of that, I thread a small, high-quality Cullman mini-ballhead. This clamp will clamp to railings, desktops, tabletops, doors, railings,etc. It's MUCH,much smaller than any tripod. Pretty handy for mounting either a camera, or an electronic flash and trigger.

I have a pretty small photographic accessory that's handy: it is a small C-clamp type of clamp with a 2.5 inch jaw span, and on top of the clamp is a ratcheted, 180 degree adjustable, lockable 1/4x20 N.C. tripod thread. On top of that, I thread a small, high-quality Cullman mini-ballhead. This clamp will clamp to railings, desktops, tabletops, doors, railings,etc. It's MUCH,much smaller than any tripod. Pretty handy for mounting either a camera, or an electronic flash and trigger.

Pix or guide, plox? This sounds useful.

Here you go...

Cullman Large Ballhead (discontinued). My Cullman ballhead is the smaller-diameter version of this 2x3.5 inch model,and it is not really all that "large"...it's about 3 inches tall and a little bigger than an inch in diameter...

Cullmann 905 Large Ballhead - Supports 8.8 lbs (4kg) CU 0905 B&H

my clamp: c-clamp.png
Originally retailed through the Goldstar line of photo accessories, 30 years ago. Now being sold as "The ClamperPod" http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2003/05/07/c-clamp.png

Website selling the ClamperPod: http://www.clamperpod.com/

For the gorilla pod, it depends on how heavy your gear is. I have the SLR version as well but it's always "bouncy" because of its mechanism. I haven't really used it much. I just know that it won't stay completely still with my F4 or D700. I gets dragged down by the weight.

For lighter gear, it works wonders.

Here you go...

Cullman Large Ballhead (discontinued). My Cullman ballhead is the smaller-diameter version of this 2x3.5 inch model,and it is not really all that "large"...it's about 3 inches tall and a little bigger than an inch in diameter...

Cullmann 905 Large Ballhead - Supports 8.8 lbs (4kg) CU 0905 B&H

my clamp: c-clamp.png
Originally retailed through the Goldstar line of photo accessories, 30 years ago. Now being sold as "The ClamperPod" http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2003/05/07/c-clamp.png

Website selling the ClamperPod: ClamperPod Mini Tripod Clamp Camera Mount

Huh, interesting... So this will support a gripped 5D you'd say?

I have an UltraPod II, that lives in the bottom of my main camera bag. It would be a stretch for it to hold up the camera with a heavy lens, but with a modest sized lens, it works well enough. And the best part is that it packs so small, I never have to choose whether or not to take it along. Works well to hold up a remote flash too.

I have several Super Clamps (similar to what Derrel has), which could be paired up with a ball head but I'd love to get a 'Magic Arm'.

Looks interesting, but I didn't see a weight rating and the 'specifications' link wasn't working.

I like the low price, but I also know that Manfrotto gear is usually worth the price, even if it's double.

Normally, I prefer to go the safe route as well. But that arm has been lauded in many video forums, which is something I'm just starting to get into. It can hold quite a bit. So far, it's held a large video light and a Marshall monitor without any problems.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back