Yet another tripod thread

If you are going to do interior work, a standard tripod may be tough, if you have to get in close to walls and furniture.
As a 2nd support, look into one of those monopods with a tripod "foot." It lets you get in closer to walls and furniture than a standard tripod. Yes they are not as steady as a standard tripod, but it is steadier than my hands. And I don't know how well it will handle a D750.

I do quite a bit of high end architectural work and even if you have to get close to a wall or subject, a tripod is still the best tool. Virtually all tripods allow you to change the spread of the legs and many newer tripods have a centre support hook to hang a bag for added stability. So it is easy to shorten a leg, pull it in tighter and still have a stable support for shutter drags.

Additionally, some tripods provide the option of using the centre support in a horizontal lock mode providing one to essentially hang the camera out from the centre point, keep in mind counter weights for balance depending on the camera weight being used.
Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 Aluminum Tripod

Manfrotto also make a horizontal arm in place of the head for tripods that do not come with an OEM centre support or one than can convert quickly.
Manfrotto 131D Side Arm - for Tripods (Chrome)

Additionally, some tripods provide the option of using the centre support in a horizontal lock mode providing one to essentially hang the camera out from the centre point, keep in mind counter weights for balance depending on the camera weight being used.

Interesting. I'll have to see if mine supports this.

If you are going to do interior work, a standard tripod may be tough, if you have to get in close to walls and furniture.
As a 2nd support, look into one of those monopods with a tripod "foot." It lets you get in closer to walls and furniture than a standard tripod. Yes they are not as steady as a standard tripod, but it is steadier than my hands. And I don't know how well it will handle a D750.

I do quite a bit of high end architectural work and even if you have to get close to a wall or subject, a tripod is still the best tool. Virtually all tripods allow you to change the spread of the legs and many newer tripods have a centre support hook to hang a bag for added stability. So it is easy to shorten a leg, pull it in tighter and still have a stable support for shutter drags.

Manfrotto also make a horizontal arm in place of the head for tripods that do not come with an OEM centre support or one than can convert quickly.

I think you mean some tripods will let you lock the legs in a compact spread.
Yes that would work.
None of mine will lock the legs in a compact configuration.

For a full size tripod, my vote is for the aluminum Manfrotto 055 or 190 series, as others have recommended (055 is slightly taller). For a mid size tripod that travels well, I would look at the Manfrotto BeFree Advanced or MeFoto travel tripods. If you need ultra-compact, I have a Sirui T-025SK that folds down to under 12” and is amazing for its size. It really depends on what your needs are - bigger and heavier will be more stable, but less portable.

As for brands - I love the Manfrotto RC2 quick release system, it really is quick and sturdy, and allows you to clamp in or remove your camera in about 1 second. If you opt for another brand, I would look for something Arca-compatible so at least you can use standard plates and accessories. Personally I am not a big fan of the Arca design, as everything takes longer. I have a Velbon travel tripod that served me well for years with multiple heads, but their QR plates (at least at the time) were proprietary, even between their own heads, and definitely wasn’t as solid as higher end ones I purchased later. Lastly, I have heard good things about Vanguard tripods, which seem to parallel similar models from Manfrotto, but at a lower price point.

I think you mean some tripods will let you lock the legs in a compact spread.
Yes that would work.
None of mine will lock the legs in a compact configuration.

Nope, I mean you don’t “have” to spread the legs to the stop point. This is rather tricky to explain in text. In other words narrowing the footprint of the tripod with one or two of the legs to sharpen the angle from the heads perpendicular. By lengthening the legs independently one can force the tripod head location off centre which can push it towards a wall much closer than spreading all the legs to their stop point.

For a full size tripod, my vote is for the aluminum Manfrotto 055 or 190 series, as others have recommended (055 is slightly taller). For a mid size tripod that travels well, I would look at the Manfrotto BeFree Advanced or MeFoto travel tripods. If you need ultra-compact, I have a Sirui T-025SK that folds down to under 12” and is amazing for its size. It really depends on what your needs are - bigger and heavier will be more stable, but less portable.

As for brands - I love the Manfrotto RC2 quick release system, it really is quick and sturdy, and allows you to clamp in or remove your camera in about 1 second. If you opt for another brand, I would look for something Arca-compatible so at least you can use standard plates and accessories. Personally I am not a big fan of the Arca design, as everything takes longer. I have a Velbon travel tripod that served me well for years with multiple heads, but their QR plates (at least at the time) were proprietary, even between their own heads, and definitely wasn’t as solid as higher end ones I purchased later. Lastly, I have heard good things about Vanguard tripods, which seem to parallel similar models from Manfrotto, but at a lower price point.

An Arca Swiss lever release clamp is about as fast as one can get. Additionally if one uses an L-bracket on the camera, portrait or landscape orientation is a snap and no resetting of the tripod head is required.

An Arca Swiss lever release clamp is about as fast as one can get. Additionally if one uses an L-bracket on the camera, portrait or landscape orientation is a snap and no resetting of the tripod head is required.
I just looked that up, and it looks awesome! I wonder why more tripods don’t come with a lever release for Arca style plates. Most budget-minded travel tripods seem to come with a screw/knob, which isn’t terrible, but also isn’t quick.

I just looked that up, and it looks awesome! I wonder why more tripods don’t come with a lever release for Arca style plates. Most budget-minded travel tripods seem to come with a screw/knob, which isn’t terrible, but also isn’t quick.

Ever since I switched over to Arca Swiss clamps and plates I'd never go back to any other form of camera to tripod connection. If you want the best quality of clamps and plates may I suggest Really Right Stuff(RRS) or Kirk. Be advised RRS lever release clamps have tighter tolerances and mixing brands of clamps and plates is not advisable. FYI, RRS lever clamps and generic Arca Swiss plates may not "lock up" as required for a solid purchase.

If you want the best quality of clamps and plates may I suggest Really Right Stuff(RRS) or Kirk. Be advised RRS lever release clamps have tighter tolerances and mixing brands of clamps and plates is not advisable. FYI, RRS lever clamps and generic Arca Swiss plates may not "lock up" as required for a solid purchase.
You’re certainly talking about a different price point with RRS tripods though!

Yes RRS tripods are at the high end. I use Manfrotto legs with RRS clamps and plates which are fully compatible with 1/4"-3/8" threaded posts on all tripods.

Interesting. I'll have to see if mine supports this.

I own the Manfrotto Art:131D Side Arm and it mounts via a 3/8" female threaded socket which most tripods use to mount the tripod head.

Because AS is not a global standard, to EXACT dimensions. The shape and width of the various rail vary.
The lever needs a very close fit, to lock tight. If you only have one brand of rails the lever will work better. If you use different brands, one rail may fit snug, but another may be loose.
A screw can deal with significant variance from standard dimension when you use various brands of rails.

Here's some photos to show how one can achieve a close to wall camera with a regular tripod set up and when using the Manfrotto Art.131D side arm. ;)

055.jpg

055-131D.jpg

Here's some photos to show how one can achieve a close to wall camera with a regular tripod set up and when using the Manfrotto Art.131D side arm. ;)

For me that image is useful because yesterday I pulled the end cap off the bottom vertical post of the Manfrotto and noticed there was a hole in the tube. I wondered why it was there. Now I see if I have a hook like you show in that image I can hang a counterweight from it.

For me that image is useful because yesterday I pulled the end cap off the bottom vertical post of the Manfrotto and noticed there was a hole in the tube. I wondered why it was there. Now I see if I have a hook like you show in that image I can hang a counterweight from it.

That hole serves two purposes:
1. It keeps the cap in place through the two nubs in the rubber base cap.
2. In my photo only one section of the centre support is used. The tripod comes with a second section that uses Allen set screws to lock the section bracket in place thus extending the centre support for added camera height.

Most reactions

Back