Motion Control Unit

DerekMellott

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have spent the summer shooting a bunch of time lapse sequences, and learned a bunch along the way. I came across a technique that involves moving the camera slowly across a dolly while shooting. Dynamic Perception LLC, Open-Source TimeLapse Motion Control Systems just started selling an incredible rig for shooting like this but I do not have $800 to buy one, so I made my own.

It doesn't do all the things the real rig can but this is my first crack at bat.
Check out this vid for pictures and test video.

Motion Control Unit on Vimeo

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

A fellow hacker :) That is very nicely done. Did you write a calculator program to control the shutter? I am in awe.

Very nice indeed!

I don't see anything wrong with using a calculator to control the shutter unless you had to go out and buy the calculator because you didn't already have that at home. Those calculators are pricey.

Another option if you don't have the calculator would be to look into the Arduino Main Board. it only costs around $25 and the software used to flash your program to processor is free and very simple to use. The unit has 14 digital i/os and 6 analog inputs so as you grow in knowledge it would be possible to add functionality to you creation. They have a very active forum and also lots of samples to help you out including projects that are related to photography.

My first dealing with them was to create an automated oven jam sensor (manufacturing oven) which cost me about $50 total opposed to the quote from one of our conveyor company's upwards of $600 plus (They always go with a PLC, pricey.)

I think it looks like you did one heck of a job on your project. I can't see the video here at work but will check it out at home. Very creative, something to be really proud of.

When you trigger the shutter is it just a straight trigger of the shutter or is there some focusing involved prior to the shot?

I don't see anything wrong with using a calculator to control the shutter unless you had to go out and buy the calculator because you didn't already have that at home. Those calculators are pricey.

Another option if you don't have the calculator would be to look into the Arduino Main Board. it only costs around $25 and the software used to flash your program to processor is free and very simple to use. The unit has 14 digital i/os and 6 analog inputs so as you grow in knowledge it would be possible to add functionality to you creation. They have a very active forum and also lots of samples to help you out including projects that are related to photography.

My first dealing with them was to create an automated oven jam sensor (manufacturing oven) which cost me about $50 total opposed to the quote from one of our conveyor company's upwards of $600 plus (They always go with a PLC, pricey.)

I think it looks like you did one heck of a job on your project. I can't see the video here at work but will check it out at home. Very creative, something to be really proud of.

When you trigger the shutter is it just a straight trigger of the shutter or is there some focusing involved prior to the shot?

The calculator is a little bulky and the connection is unreliable. I looked into the arduino method but I had the calculator.

Thank you, I built it yesterday and I'm already changing the design of the sled, trying to get rid or the little bit wobble you will notice when you watch the video.

The camera is on manual everything, I compose and focus the shot, set the exposure and then I let the calculator do the clicking.

So are you connecting into the camera's hard remote trigger or the digital (usb) connection? I was trying to under stand why the connection is unstable. Is it a communication issue or just a physical issue with the connection?

It would seem that one could make a fairly stable connection if going through the hardwired remote connection. It would be interesting to know if anyone could pass on the way in which remotes trigger the camera to focus before the shot. Does anyone know the protocol for this function? (If the hardwired remote even has this option.) I know with a wireless remote it will focus before the shot on a 350D.

A duel belt/cable like setup might be a more stable method, you would not have to have a continuous belt/cable as you could have the seam of the belt/cable mounted at the sled. If using cable you could you could use a cable tensioner to adjust the slack out of both sides and make them have equal tension. Looks like you would not need too much additional hardware from what you already have. (4pulleys, cable or rope, two tensioners and two Eye-bolts and an additional shaft at the other end.)

Looks like a really cool project to try out. I wish I could get my hands on a cheap used circuit board conveyor, that would be perfect. I was already planning on getting another arduino for projects at home. (work owns the others I use)

Good luck, can't wait to see the update.

So are you connecting into the camera's hard remote trigger or the digital (usb) connection? I was trying to under stand why the connection is unstable. Is it a communication issue or just a physical issue with the connection?

It would seem that one could make a fairly stable connection if going through the hardwired remote connection. It would be interesting to know if anyone could pass on the way in which remotes trigger the camera to focus before the shot. Does anyone know the protocol for this function? (If the hardwired remote even has this option.) I know with a wireless remote it will focus before the shot on a 350D.

A duel belt/cable like setup might be a more stable method, you would not have to have a continuous belt/cable as you could have the seam of the belt/cable mounted at the sled. If using cable you could you could use a cable tensioner to adjust the slack out of both sides and make them have equal tension. Looks like you would not need too much additional hardware from what you already have. (4pulleys, cable or rope, two tensioners and two Eye-bolts and an additional shaft at the other end.)

Looks like a really cool project to try out. I wish I could get my hands on a cheap used circuit board conveyor, that would be perfect. I was already planning on getting another arduino for projects at home. (work owns the others I use)

Good luck, can't wait to see the update.

The connection issue is the cable itself, i have yet to find a cable that will seat fully in the calculator, I lost the one that came with the calculator. the connection is through the 2.5mm remote port.

the camera would focus before each shot if I left the auto focus on but flickering focus during a time lapse is not a good thing.

Those are some good ideas for stabilizing the sled, I bought some HMW polyethylene today and I will make some sliders out of it, and tighten up the fit to the rails. Cheap is my current goal for this project, so far total cost is $5.78

I'm sure when I get a nice solid rig built nothing of this original build will be involved, it's time to do some trial and error.

I appreciate your interest.

Sounds like you have it well under control. Most of my time lapse has centered more around video cameras and software, but then again like you said you are usually stuck with a link to a PC on that one (unless you have a camera that actually records automated time lapse). But the principal you use for a still camera on your sled could also be applied to a video camera That peaks my interest quite a bit :)

Also your price is definitely right on track!

I looked at the microcontroller option too not Arduino but actually programming and building a physical circuit with the same kind of AVR chips. Then I looked at making a small one out of an ATTINY32. Then I realised for the cost of all this I can buy a chinese Nikon knockoff remote on ebay instead :)

I'm a sucky geek :p

lol well when I got into the use of micro controllers it was cause my boss asked if it could be done and of course I had to say yes. The thing I was happy about was the free programming software, in manufacturing that does not happen a lot. While looking at some of the things guys have done I found there were quite a few dealing with remotes and digital cameras.

Doesn't matter what kind of geek you are Garbz... just that you are one! :thumbup: I would have bought the jam sensor if I would have found a cheap on ebay too! LOL

This was a test of a very sophisticated and high tech addition to the set up, a stick.

I drilled a hole in the head, put a stick in it. when the stick hits the tree the camera rotates. Ghetto? Yes! Cheap? Yes!

Would have looked better if there were some clouds out.

http://vimeo.com/15581962

IMAGE_476.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back