What's new

Motion

kschalo

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 30, 2008
Messages
79
Reaction score
16
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Our project 52 theme this week was motion. This was my first go at using my new speedlight. I'd like some c&c on the lighting. Thanks!

 
The backlighting is nice, but the front of the glass and wine is really under-lit.

Jake
 
The backlighting is nice, but the front of the glass and wine is really under-lit.

Jake

Thanks. I only have one light so far so I had to make a choice. My setup was a mirror behind the wine glass angled at a wall and the light bounced off the wall. I was hoping to get the most out of the one light.
 
You did get the most out of the single light!!! It's just that a second light would improve the shot. I pulled it into Lightroom...I thought "maybe" I could pump some fill light into the wine, but the wine's darker areas are not really recoverable to the level of detail that I am craving to see. But then again...it's still a nice shot. You got a pretty good splash shape within the glass, and the motion looks good. This kind of shot is something a lot of people have tried, and I've seen many shots of this type done much worse.

What I think is really good is the delicate black edges on the rim and stem of the glass--really nicely delineating the perimeter areas and shapes! Those DARK lines really,really help convey a sense of shape, and dimensionality. Also, I think if this were reduced in size, to say Samsung Galaxy Note size, or iPad or iPhone size, it'd look really awesome. This photo illustration conveys a lot of the gestalt of wine-pouring.
 
You did get the most out of the single light!!! It's just that a second light would improve the shot. I pulled it into Lightroom...I thought "maybe" I could pump some fill light into the wine, but the wine's darker areas are not really recoverable to the level of detail that I am craving to see. But then again...it's still a nice shot. You got a pretty good splash shape within the glass, and the motion looks good. This kind of shot is something a lot of people have tried, and I've seen many shots of this type done much worse.

What I think is really good is the delicate black edges on the rim and stem of the glass--really nicely delineating the perimeter areas and shapes! Those DARK lines really,really help convey a sense of shape, and dimensionality. Also, I think if this were reduced in size, to say Samsung Galaxy Note size, or iPad or iPhone size, it'd look really awesome. This photo illustration conveys a lot of the gestalt of wine-pouring.

Thank you! We poured endless glasses of wine trying to get just the "right pour". This type of shot is much more difficult that I thought :)
 
Also...wouldn't a light in front of the glass cause a reflection? And I probably would have lost the dark lines of the glass?
 
Also...wouldn't a light in front of the glass cause a reflection? And I probably would have lost the dark lines of the glass?

Try lighting from below. To add light to the liquid.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom