Motorcycle C&C

Oh thats a Triumph? Nice. I used to drive a Triumph CAR. Very different animal, but makes me have an inate love for anything with that name on it.

Those are some nice shots. However I do agree that the bike needs a touch more lighting... If you get the chance again at this, I would have a light above the bike and a hair behind it to highlight the top of it. This should help it stand out more by bringing out the seat and windshield more...notice in shot #1 how they get lost in the background. In addition I would have 2 lights from low front at 45 degree angles to the bike. This will light up the detail in the engine and such as well as define the tires from the background. Add backlighting and it would really POP.
The only other thing I would consider is in your PP...I would clone out the fluorescent lights...imo, they are major distracters.

Awesome bike, even more awesome lighting.

Wow, thanks for all the comments. The lighting was nothing special. I simply parked it under and just behind one of the lights that was in the garage. I tried to find the brightest one but I think they were all the same. These were taken with my D40 and a sigma 55-200 lens. I really want to invest in some flashes or lights or something but that seems like a lot of trouble. A flash behind the bike... wow I don't even know how that would work. I figured that I should buy a flash for the front first but I guess like any good hobby all it takes is $$$.

Don't you guys worry, armor-all and my bike will always be separate.

speed_dmon: Nice bike, I am also on 675.net.

Really nice pictures my favorite is #2. I have a bike back in the states 06 Gsxr 600 im gonna try some shots like this when i go back!!

It's pretty amazing that just whatever lighting was in the garage gave you such results. I'll have to try that. (well, maybe with an added flash!) :) Thanks for sharing.

Wow, thanks for all the comments. The lighting was nothing special. I simply parked it under and just behind one of the lights that was in the garage. I tried to find the brightest one but I think they were all the same. These were taken with my D40 and a sigma 55-200 lens. I really want to invest in some flashes or lights or something but that seems like a lot of trouble. A flash behind the bike... wow I don't even know how that would work. I figured that I should buy a flash for the front first but I guess like any good hobby all it takes is $$$.

Don't you guys worry, armor-all and my bike will always be separate.

speed_dmon: Nice bike, I am also on 675.net.

Small example below. I didn't have enough room behind the bike, so the flash only lit up the wheels and the floor. It had a red gel over it and was cranked up to full power. There's also two others infront, but the garage wasn't the ideal setup. I needed some white board to bounce the flash off of. Since the paint on a vehicle is like a tinted mirror, it reflects what it sees. A flash directly infront of the object would just get you a bright point on the paint and wouldn't be very effective for lighting it. The two additional flashes are 45 degrees to the left and right infront of the bike. They both have white umbrellas they're shooting through trying the accent the curves and ridges on the bike. It came out a bit dark though.

Click for the flickr page and larger options:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

Most reactions

Back