Motorsport -- panning, SS & motion

no, it's an LS1.

The pics I posted were shot between 1/40 & 1/100.

no, it's an LS1.

That's a shame. I'm not a purist or anything, but a little variety would be nice.

the car has to last more than a few boosted pulls. The LS1 is a great motor, especially if you need torque to keep the car sideways. It ends up in many race cars for a reason.

Rotaries are race engines. They can handle the stress, just require a lot of cooling. Power can be had if desired. See ---> Mad Mike.

To me, the LS is the easy way out. And yes, there are a lot of them, hence my statement about wanting more variety.

Enjoy looking at all the shots here and would like to learn more about panning.

Do not have race cars or motocross near me. Truck going approx 25 to 30 mph.

Lens 50mm 1.8 SS 1/50 F8 ISO 100

Seems the sharpest spot is the passenger door rear view mirror.

What would I need to do to get more of the truck focused ?

$TruckMotion.jpg

First post to the forums, but I attended Formula D in Atlanta a few weeks ago and wanted to share. C & C welcome.
View attachment 76048

I just shared this with the driver of the Rx8 and he was pretty damn happy with it... (almost as much as his win in seattle)

keep posting!

I was just wondering about this image with respect to gauging how well or not I did. I think if there was more stuff in the background it would look better. I,ve done nothing other then convert to jpeg, which is not great.

Attachments

• $CmcC(Tractor)10.JPG
    $CmcC(Tractor)10.JPG
    331.4 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
$DSC_1177-2.jpgFrom a drift event in PA this past spring

Attachments

• $DSC_1188.jpg
    $DSC_1188.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 165
Enjoy looking at all the shots here and would like to learn more about panning.

Do not have race cars or motocross near me. Truck going approx 25 to 30 mph.

Lens 50mm 1.8 SS 1/50 F8 ISO 100

Seems the sharpest spot is the passenger door rear view mirror.

What would I need to do to get more of the truck focused ?

Good panning technique. You are really nitpicking to suggest the sharpest part is the mirror (I agree), but overall it doesn't take away from the pan. In general, we want the front of the car to be the sharpest. To achieve this you would have needed to pan ever so slightly faster. Due to the nature of panning, it is often times impossible to get the entire car sharp. If the car is approaching/leaving at an angle to the camera, it will not entirely be in focus. Distance and SS will also have an affect.

Example (notice the rear of the car is blurry if enlarged):
Like Lightning by ImidgeryByKMidgett, on Flickr

In order for the entire car to be in focus, it must be exactly perpendicular to the camera. The slower the SS, the less likely the entire subject will be sharp. Both examples are taken at SS 1/60.

Example (while not exactly perpendicular, it's close enough):
'Shine Country Classic - 24 Hours of LeMons by ImidgeryByKMidgett, on Flickr

I was just wondering about this image with respect to gauging how well or not I did. I think if there was more stuff in the background it would look better. I,ve done nothing other then convert to jpeg, which is not great.

Looks good to me. I am not sure if more background would help, but a slower SS would help convey more motion. One thing though, the sky looks very odd. Was it overexposed and you tried to recover it?

Last edited:
Indy MotoGP 2014

Valentino Rossi
Vale%201-X2.jpg

Yonny Hernandez
Yonny%20Hernandez-X2.jpg

Andrea Iannone
Andrea%20Iannone-X2.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back