MOTW - Antarctican

Chiller said:
Doesnt Chase pay some sort of commission for recruiting. :lol:

Thank you so much for the mention Anty. It was really cool to meet you at the zoo...but it was freekin cold that day eh?. Really glad you joined the forum, you have been a really great addition.

Do you have a favorite photo you have taken? One that really means a lot to you.

Excellent interview so far....:thumbup: :thumbup:

Actually, I believe he does...once you get 10 referals. It hasn't been done before yet though. :p

I have 6 referals! :lol:

This is such a wonderful 'interview', it is so much fun to learn about everyone.

Antarctican said:
Am I correct in my recollection that your father once made a summit attempt on Mt. Kilimanjaro? I seem to recall you posting back when I put up a few pics from the trip.

Great recollection. Yes he did, and the reason I asked is because I believe he first visited Kenya (or maybe it was after?) and came back pronouncing the country as 'Keen-ya', much to my sister and my horror. Due to his love for the mountains, I have learnt to both admire the beauty of them, as well as respect the power they hold.

Have you seen the documentary March of the Penguins? If so, what did you think?

Tell us more about sailing..... you were saying about visiting the harbour here in Plymouth, England.... and you've recently mentioned kayaking..... why do you like sailing boats?...... are you a good swimmer?!

Alison said:
Have you seen the documentary March of the Penguins? If so, what did you think?
Oh yeah, I've seen it! I thought it had amazing cinematography. What the poor camera people must have gone through to get those shots just boggles my mind...temperatures were probably easily -80 during the winter months, and Antarctica is the windiest continent. They were there for 13 months making the movie. Brutal. I've never seen Emperor penguins, as they tend to go inland on the main part of the continent and my visits were up by the peninsula. The story of how they go so far inland to breed, and the male looks after the egg, without eating for 2 months, is fascinating. Evolution-wise, you wonder why they are compelled to go through such terrible conditions to breed.

JonK said:
What worthy cause wants old mannequin legs? :confused: :scratch:
Hee hee, I was wondering if anyone was gonna ask that!! I actually donated them to the "Chiller scares the bejeesus out of little kids at Halloween" cause! The legs had been left in my garden plot by the previous tenant,who had tried to get vines to grow up the legs. I was trying to figure out what to do with them, when I think I happened to read a post by Chiller about how he goes all out at Halloween decorating his house with scary figures etc. So I asked him if he'd be interested in a pair of shapely legs, and he said yes (go figure!) The legs have appeared in one or two of his posts, I believe.

JonK said:
and since you've been to my hometown, winnipeg, what was yer fave thing about the place? :)
My trip to Winnipeg was a loooooong time ago, when I was in high school. We saw the usual touristy things, and my main memories are of how pretty it was (being situated along the river), the provincial parliament building with Golden Boy on top, and the Mint (which was brand new I think). (Sorry it's not a more exciting answer.)

Sorry for the delay in the Antarctic scenery shots...the scanner was in use during the times today that I tried to use it (I'm using the one at work...shhhhh).

Archangel said:
Tell us more about sailing..... you were saying about visiting the harbour here in Plymouth, England.... and you've recently mentioned kayaking..... why do you like sailing boats?...... are you a good swimmer?!

Sailing: My ex was an avid sailor, so that’s how I first got into it. Our first boat was a 30 foot cruising sailboat which we moored at Georgian Bay. The next one was a 30 foot racing sailboat that we raced (with a crew) on Lake Ontario, and trailered to such places as Key West, Florida and Newport, Rhode Island. My ex did a double-handed race over to Plymouth, and then a solo race back, so that’s why we were in Plymouth. ~~ I’m a cruiser at heart, I think. What really appealed to me about sailing is how peaceful it is (when cruising, not racing) …coasting along, with a glass of wine in hand, in sunny conditions, with no engine sounds to disturb the silence. The racing was fun too, but is much more hectic. It’s exciting when the boat is heeled over and you’re speeding over the water.
7_3_111.gif

I’ve only done kayaking since 2004 and just do basic paddling…I don’t know how to do the Eskimo rolls etc. Again, the peacefulness of kayaking really appealed to me. You can get some good speed going with fairly little effort, go through really shallow water, and can get quite close to birds and other marine wildlife (for photo ops).

I’m an adequate swimmer. I don’t go all that fast, but I can go for extended periods of time. Other than when I go to someone’s cottage, I don’t have much opportunity to go swimming.

Antarctican said:
My trip to Winnipeg was a loooooong time ago, when I was in high school. We saw the usual touristy things, and my main memories are of how pretty it was (being situated along the river), the provincial parliament building with Golden Boy on top, and the Mint (which was brand new I think). (Sorry it's not a more exciting answer.)
sorry it's not a more exciting place! :lol:

Antarctican said:
Hee hee, I was wondering if anyone was gonna ask that!! I actually donated them to the "Chiller scares the bejeesus out of little kids at Halloween" cause! The legs had been left in my garden plot by the previous tenant,who had tried to get vines to grow up the legs. I was trying to figure out what to do with them, when I think I happened to read a post by Chiller about how he goes all out at Halloween decorating his house with scary figures etc. So I asked him if he'd be interested in a pair of shapely legs, and he said yes (go figure!) The legs have appeared in one or two of his posts, I believe.

Ethyl appeared in my MOTW as the legs at the refrigerator. She has been a welcome addition to the Chiller family, and is lookin forward to here debut at Heavens Gate Cemetery this year. :lol: :lmao:
Thanks for the donation Anty...your flowers are safe with me. :lol:

JTHphoto said:
do you have a favorite landscape-style shot from antartica that you can share?
Okay, at long last I was able to hop on the scanner. The first pic is a scan of a shot taken on a disposable panorama camera. Not the best quality, but I think it gives you an idea of how gorgeous the scenery is in Antarctica. Imagine waking up, pulling aside the curtains from the porthole, and seeing this? (*sigh*) These pictures were taken at a place aptly called Paradise Bay.

antarctbx8.jpg

antarcticmtnyy7.jpg

antarcticmtnreflectedcv2.jpg

Can I come with you on your next trip to the antartic? :)

Antartican answers: Yes you can! I would love that!

Antarctican said:
Okay, at long last I was able to hop on the scanner. The first pic is a scan of a shot taken on a disposable panorama camera. Not the best quality, but I think it gives you an idea of how gorgeous the scenery is in Antarctica. Imagine waking up, pulling aside the curtains from the porthole, and seeing this? (*sigh*) These pictures were taken at a place aptly called Paradise Bay.

antarctbx8.jpg

antarcticmtnyy7.jpg

antarcticmtnreflectedcv2.jpg

Whoa.....awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most reactions

Back