Mount Rubidoux Engagement

Vtec44

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.jamestangphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a whole series but this picture is slightly different and not my typical style. The clients were referred to me by a wedding venue. I'm shooting their wedding in July of this year.

Mount Rubidoux is a landmark in Riverside County, California. :)
20141102_Mount-Rubidoux-Engagement_Kyle_Erin_D8C2114.jpg

This is a really great photo. Excellent use of silhouette and environment.

I had to look at the photo for a few seconds before I saw the couple.
That makes the couple the 5th or 6th most eye catching subject matter.

That's typically how I shoot UWA shots :D It's kind of like a puzzle...

I interpreted the photo as being an establishing shot that sets a scene and a narrative rather than an on-the-nose "look at how married this couple is" shot that would most likely be found hanging on the couple's wall.

yeah... I think it's great too

An establishing shot is used in filmmaking and television to show the main subject(s) in the context of the environment the narrative will take place in.
Consequently your main subject(s) should be the primary image element in the establishing shot.

The photo can work as part of the narrative, but is weak as an establishing shot because the couple (the primary reason the image was made) has so little visual weight in the frame.

Nicely done, especially if they are religious. You can crop all day long and it still works. I think you know have a standard shot for all your wedding work.

Nicely done, especially if they are religious. You can crop all day long and it still works. I think you know have a standard shot for all your wedding work.

I shot this with a D800 so I can crop it all day long and can still produce a 20x30 canvas print :D

BTW, the couple was not intended to be the main subject. It's the scenery then the people. This is how I shoot UWA because as part of a whole series of pictures. I want people to have a bit of fun to look at the beautiful scenery and find the people. At times it can be like an Easter egg hunt. In this picture, it's suppose to leave the viewer to fill in the blanks in their own story using the tree, castle, bridge, and the couple. It's part of my style and brand. :D

Last edited:

I shot this with a D800 so I can crop it all day long and can still produce a 20x30 canvas print :D

BTW, the couple was not intended to be the main subject. It's the scenery then the people. This is how I shoot UWA because as part of a whole series of pictures. I want people to have a bit of fun to look at the beautiful scenery and find the people. At times it can be like an Easter egg hunt. In this picture, it's suppose to leave the viewer to fill in the blanks in their own story using the tree, castle, bridge, and the couple. It's part of my style and brand. :D

Yeah I love it. Establishes the scene and context beautifully. In this type of shot I don't see the couple as needing to be the focal point of the shot. I'm sure you have plenty of them being the focal point.

Nicely done. Really.

Jake

An establishing shot is used in filmmaking and television to show the main subject(s) in the context of the environment the narrative will take place in.
Consequently your main subject(s) should be the primary image element in the establishing shot.

The photo can work as part of the narrative, but is weak as an establishing shot because the couple (the primary reason the image was made) has so little visual weight in the frame.

I disagree. I see this as an establishing shot in terms of the the environment. Well, okay, maybe establishing shot was a bad term to use. I was meaning it's an atmospheric shot that is supplemental to the "meat" of the wedding gallery. It establishes a mood and, potentially, a subtle message to the viewer (the church adds a religious overtone).

This isn't meant to be an on-the-nose shot.

"This is the couple. They're in love. This is their wedding."

This isn't one of those. This photo probably isn't going to be printed on canvas and hung in their living room. It's more conceptual and not as specific to the couple.

It's graphic- somewhat surreal. It's a nice shot outside the context of the wedding because of the non-specific nature of the silhouette.

I know what you mean by the couple being small. In the frame. However, given the nature of the silhouette (as a general technique), I feel it works. If it were cropped or framed differently, the interest in the image would be lost.

But to each their own. I like it.

Last edited:
I couldn't disagree with KMH more, I think the shot is fantastic and tells a great story. You don't need to be up the nose of the people to make them the subject. I think it's beautiful.

My only nitpick is the tower having a lean to it and it not being straight up.

Does nobody else see the gigantic leaning penis?

I love this photo, everything about it is just great!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back