Mountain Dog

drdan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
thegoodsleepstore.com
I did some work on this one, including the suggestion of resizing in stages using unsharp mask at each stage.

DSC02405redited650.jpg

This is a great shot. I don't think I read about that technique, looks like a good one!

I remember reading that, someplace. Dan, this is fabulous! Sharp as a briar from foreground to infinity. Colors stay true. This may be one of your better images.

I seldom spend much time resizing images but this is certainly a compelling argument for doing so in this fashion.

Great work! :D

I love the colors... this dog seems very patient in the photo :)

2Stupid2Duck said:
Great shot. Fantastic - um.. but some photoshopping of the dog (towards the back) might be in oder.
:smileys: :lmao:

You could never have made it growing up on a farm. You wouldn't have survived. :D

drdan said:
I did some work on this one, including the suggestion of resizing in stages using unsharp mask at each stage.
Could someone explain this technique to me--or direct me to a tutorial?

ThanX

I got this from a thread that was active within the last 2-3 weeks, probably in Critique forum but I can't find it now. I modify it and do the unsharp mask on a jpeg copy of my full sized edited picture. I don't reduce by dpi, instead I do the first step of unsharp mask, then use Save for web to reduce width and KB by about half, then next unsharp mask, then reduce width and KB to what I want to post and sometimes unsharp mask again. I find with most of my pictures that I do better with slightly lower amounts. Like 1.0 pixel and 50-75%, .7 pixel and 35-45%, sometimes .3 pixel and 20%

Here's what I copied from the thread:

"Here's how Doxx told me to do it.

Start out with an image about 300 dpi
Fix anything you're going to fix
Unsharp mask approx 100%, pixel radius 1.0
Reduce to 150 dpi
Unsharp mask approx 50%, pixel radius 1.0 (or slightly less)
Reduce to 72 dpi (I also make my longest edge 500 pix)
Unsharp mask approx 25%, pixel radius 0.5

This seems to work well for me, making the file look similar to the print. Sometimes with very textured images (like grass) or portraits I reduce the amount of sharpening, or skip the last unsharpmask all together to avoid an over sharpened look. You'll have to fiddle with the numbers to see what works for you.

Most reactions

Back