Mountain Goat

DRodgers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Was going thru some files ,cleaning up and thought I could save this with a bit of processing.
Shot at mid day with little contrast.
What I did was add some vignette and some saturation then sharpened to rid the haze .
How does it look? , I was hoping to keep it looking as natural as possible.
billygoat.jpg

It looks fairly nice as a snap - decent focus, DOF and color but, IMO, it's not a great picture. There is little in the animal's stance or the image as a whole that makes it exciting to the viewer.

Sorry.

Lew

Fair enough , but I was more leaning toward the pp for C&C .The original was heading for the scrap bin.
mountaingoat2.jpg

Fair enough , but I was more leaning toward the pp for C&C .The original was heading for the scrap bin.

So then you're saying you're wasting everyone's time by posting a photo you don't want critiqued?

a quote from the forum rules.
Posters probably won’t get extended explanations of basic topics in photography; this isn’t the place for that. Learning should be done elsewhere. This forum is for specific critique of artistic elements, then learning from them.

Now back to my original question does the vignette have any merit or should it be reserved for human portraits..
something new for me and would like critique on the pp so I can learn to improve my higher quality images that I sell..
Thanks in advance.

Now back to my original question does the vignette have any merit or should it be reserved for human portraits..

I don't think that one can say that any technique is worthwhile based on its use in one picture. It doesn't do much for this one, but that doesn't mean the technique itself is bad.

If you have a specific problem, then I would think it would be posted in that forum. When I see a photo in this forum, General Critique, I look at the photo with a general critique in mind. I try to look at the image to form my impression/critique rather than read explanations, excuses or pre-formed apologies which may sway my judgement, especially if it's the work of someone I may have a predisposition in regard. When I see two photos, then I really do see someone wasting the critic's time.

So, what I was thinking (Don't want to waste either of our time :) ) ;

The composition is too dead center. The color, DOF and focus is ok, but it is obvious that no matter how interesting the animal is, it is not interested in much else other than living through until dinner.

Thank you for your responses ..
I can work on different pp techniques to improve my wildlife images.
Any suggestions?

Thank you for your responses ..
I can work on different pp techniques to improve my wildlife images.
Any suggestions?
Vignettes are usually used to focus attention to a specific area (a single main subject). Your pp manages to focus attention to the goat by using a vignette (and I believe that is what you wanted to do). Maybe there are others who would have used subjective blurr and/or selective sharpening to achieve the same concept.

I would have liked your image either with or without the vignette. Acceptance is probably a matter of individual preferrence and I would have enjoyed it either way. Thanks for sharing.

I didn't really care for the crop as I found the position of the goat to be too central. Perhaps a closer crop on the right margin??

PS: keep it. It's not a throw-away.

Thank you midnitejam.
I can see that off setting it would improve now that its brought to my attention.

Vignettes are usually used to focus attention to a specific area (a single main subject). Your pp manages to focus attention to the goat by using a vignette (and I believe that is what you wanted to do). Maybe there are others who would have used subjective blurr and/or selective sharpening to achieve the same concept.

I would have liked your image either with or without the vignette. Acceptance is probably a matter of individual preferrence and I would have enjoyed it either way. Thanks for sharing.

I didn't really care for the crop as I found the position of the goat to be too central. Perhaps a closer crop on the right margin??

PS: keep it. It's not a throw-away.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back