Mountain Landscapes C&C

ryanwaff

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This past weekend, my Dad and myself went to the Drakensberg mountains to climb the chain ladder to get ontop of the amphitheater. It was a really misty day with the clouds surrounding us for most of the day. Which did make for some very beautiful shots. Below are two of my favorites from the weekend. Please can I have some C&C on processing and composition.

$Landscape 1.jpgThis one, I struggled with to find an appropriate crop for, I am reasonably happy with this version.
$_DSC4688.jpgThis one I got real lucky on. I was just shooting when suddenly, what we think is a black eagle, flew into the shot, and really adds another dimension in my opinion. Not sure if I should crop some space off the right.

Very nice landscapes!
-Number one, I find that there is a touch too much of dark sky.
-Number two, I could guess it was a "bird" but I can't really see a black eagle, it doesn't add to me. Also I would have loved to see more on the right...personnal taste I guess :)

Not a criticism, but just an opportunity: When you have a misty mountain situation like #1 with obvious atmospheric perspective going on, it would be neat to take a few photos in portrait orientation, with close crop and even-ish spacing of mountains at different distances up and down through the frame, in a homage to traditional Japanese landscape prints.

Very nice landscapes!
-Number one, I find that there is a touch too much of dark sky.
-Number two, I could guess it was a "bird" but I can't really see a black eagle, it doesn't add to me. Also I would have loved to see more on the right...personnal taste I guess :)

Thank you, with number 2, from the picture it is not discernible as to what bird it is. We just thought it was when we saw it at the time. And with number 1, I also agree there was a bit too much cloud. Ill recrop and repost soon.

Not a criticism, but just an opportunity: When you have a misty mountain situation like #1 with obvious atmospheric perspective going on, it would be neat to take a few photos in portrait orientation, with close crop and even-ish spacing of mountains at different distances up and down through the frame, in a homage to traditional Japanese landscape prints.

Thank you for the suggestion. So if I understand correctly, something like this?

Most reactions

Back