Mounting on Alumimium

othomas2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, hust new here so this may have been answered before.

I have my Degree Show in a months time. For this I am displaying 12 or 13 small 150x120 cm hand coloured satin finish B&W photographs. However I wish to monunt them on Aluminium and know very little about this. I am in London so if anyone can suggest where I could get this done I would be very apreciative.

Or I can buy sheets from somewhere and cut them myself within the metalwork department at college, but would like to get the best effect.

I would like them to to be off the wall by about half a cent. so will need some blocks or something on the reverse. Also what adhesive is best?

Basically if anyone can direct me to the best way I can do this that would be great. I don't have a huge amount of money.

Thanks Owen

If you can find anywhere to do this it will cost.
If you have a metalwork dept. then cut your own.
Protect the face by sticking some polythene on (spraymount works) as aluminium scratches easily.
Cut the sheet a couple of cm's bigger along the top and bottom.
Use a box folder or Gabro to fold 1cm strip at 90 degrees top and bottom.
Move in another cm and fold again.
This should give you a U-shaped section top and bottom which will space the sheet 1cm from the wall.
Drill two holes either end of the top back strip and you can use this for mounting.
Clean and polish the ali face.
Mount your pictures using Unibond or similar.
If you use rubber-based adhesive you can clean off any over-glueing with lighter fluid.
Does that help?

(If you buy the technicians a bottle of Scotch they might help you)

Thanks for that. I think I will do just that.
The pro's can do bad jobs also. I have a bad feelings in trusting others with my work anyways.

All I need to know now is where to buy it from.
I think I should go ask the metalwork technicians, which will probably be the best solution. I spoke to her yesterday about cutting it there and she said yes but didn't seem too struck on the idea.

But if anyone knows or suggest of anywhere in London that I could get some good price alluminium from that would be great.

Thank again
Owen

Yeah thats my plan... I'm not sure where they get it from but I will let you know if you are interested.

Keep in mind that you should probably use a rouge wheel to polish the aluminum up before you display it. It's like a big polishing wheel on a bench grinder. I'm sure that your metal shop will have one.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out for you.

The aluminium sheeting will be the exact same size as the photograph so will that be a issue?

No need to polish it then.
But if you are effectively not going to see the aluminium why bother using it?
Wood or card would be cheaper and easier.

Aluminum over here in the states is pretty cheap right now, but I question the use of it if you won't see it.

For adhering to aluminum, you will need to brush the surface. Aluminum comes with an oxide surface that is pretty smooth. Wire brush, wire wheel or steel wool will do the trick. Then a spray adhesive to mount.

Hertz van Rental said:
No need to polish it then.
But if you are effectively not going to see the aluminium why bother using it?
Wood or card would be cheaper and easier.

I want the print to stay real straight. I've deabated whether to use MDF but a little thick. I like the thiness of Aluminium. I am probably going to go with glass now though. I have done a few tests with alum and glass. Glass wins in my opinion. Thanks for the help. Keep thread going if you wish.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back