Movies

waday

Do one thing every day that scares you
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone watch any good movies lately?

The wife and I recently watched Arrival and La La Land.

Both were good. Arrival was definitely a good scifi. Aside from the usual scifi movie cliche, I loved that it used a different way of thinking and communicating. Seems to reflect more of what's happening in our world, as well as our understanding of the universe.

Some spoilers for Arrival:
  • Somewhat cliche that they used "octopuses" (ok, fine, heptapods) as aliens.
  • I don't think the US Govt would be as open as they were in the movie.
  • I didn't understand how things were so top secret, yet there were tons of phone banks and so many freaking leaks of information... access to internet was everywhere in the base.
  • We, the viewers, got too much information/story line gaps from the "news", IMO. Oh, we don't have time for it, so let's just have the viewers find the information through a series of different newscasters.
  • I think that humans/aliens were too quick to be able to understand each other. Then again, the timeline did seem to take place over the span of months.
  • I liked that the movie included excerpts of what would/could happen to society if this actually happened. That said, I don't think it would have a happy ending like the movie. Sorry for being cynical.
  • The kid was also a surprise. Had no idea that was actually the future, so I liked how they set us up.
  • Definitely made us think about how we would handle knowing the future and having the possibility of changing it.. if we would or if we wouldn't...
  • I hate comparing to other movies, but it definitely seemed to borrow some from Contact. I did like how they had the crazy radical YouTube news influencing those close minded people, because I think that's definitely a possibility.

I was somewhat reluctant to watch La La Land, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have a soft spot for Emma Stone, and.. Ryan Gosling... I'd marry him. ;)

I still can't get the music out of my head, several days later. I really liked the homage to classic movie musicals. It totally deserved all awards it was given, IMO. It had some really, really funny parts to it, which I wasn't expecting. Maybe this is just me personally, but it really worked up a lot of emotions in me.

I can't wait to watch it again.

Only one spoiler for La La Land:
  • I was so hoping they'd stay together in the end, but I like the way they ended it. As soon as it showed her kissing another man, and then kids, yep, not happening. Felt like a "real" ending.

I love La La Land. I watched it only after the whole Academy Awards Fiasco. Should have been more curious about Moonlight though.

Watched 10 Cloverfiekd Lane recently and thought it was excellent. John Goodman is superb in it.

Not done many movies recently but there's a few TV series that I enjoy, Legion, Taboo and Peaky Blinders have all been very good so far.

Get out was pretty good, especially coming from a comedy actor like Jordan Peele.

Logan was also very well done for a darker, more "adult" superhero movie.

Whiskey tango foxtrot.. it was more serious than I thought it would be but worth a watch

Just watched (bought the BR combo pack) "Hell or High Water"......excellent flick. Chris Pine shows he is not just a pretty face and Ben Foster is always good. Jeff Bridges can do no wrong, he WAS that character.

Most reactions

Back