Moving from an amateur to a professional

Nice! What type lens are you using? I have just the standard lens that came with it and can't get that nice blurred background for the life of me!

That's a panning shot. meaning he was moving the camera along with the car as it was going by and focusing on the car, this keeps the car in focus and the background blurred since the camera was moving as the photo was shot.

I would work with what you have. It's really easy to get caught up into "i have to buy this, i have to buy that to be good" ive done it a time or two before as have a lot of other people, but use what you have. find out how to use it to your advantage, and as you increase in ability and knowledge you begin to see where you are being limited by the gear you have. then you can look at upgrading to equipment that takes care of the previous limiting factor. as you progress in skill and knowledge you will begin to learn what you need to start purchasing to do certain jobs.

I started as a "pro" with a Nikon D100 and a couple kit lenses. The pics could have been higher quality, but in a lot of cases the quality issues were more about my camera experience.

In fact, almost ALL of my issues were about my BUSINESS experience. More prep work would have helped. I think a lot of folks have told you basically that... I'm just sort of underlining it with my own experience.

Of course, better gear will net you better results from a quality imagery perspective, and there are certain situations where a lower-end body or lens simply will not cut it (such as weddings in a dark church). However, if you're not going down that road you have more leeway... and really... pretty much the crappiest Nikon you can buy these days CRUSHES my D100... and the D100 was "fine". :)

In time and with success, you can ramp up to better gear as your budget allows... I'm running a D800/D300 now, and all of my glass is high-end Nikon and one high-end Sigma.

Mind you... I'm also a part time pro, so take this with a grain of salt. :)

I focus a little bit broader. . ..

I wanna shoot DIVORCES!

I mean, the rate of fails to success is proven.

I wanna be able to rock along the newly found bachelor, get the newly "Young and Swingle" shots, and embrace a market that has been there since the days of marriage.

The only reason divorce costs so much, is because it is so worth it! :sarcasm:

Shooting a divorce seems like a LOT more fun!

lol, if folks HONESTLY want it documented, then there is a market to be had. . .sad, but true. Stranger things have happened. I just wanna be on the cutting edge.

Please gents, and the few women who agree, LEMME SHOOT THE DEMISE OF YOUR CHURCH SANCTIONED MARRIAGE!

yet, the church won't acknowledge gay marriage, but please, lets let the heteros to make a mockery of the "institution".

So long as no kids are involved, I think shooting Divorce parties is the new, realistic rage just waiting to happen. Tragedy breeds opportunity. That is just the way of the world, and I would LOVE to be able to capture the special moment where "new found singleness", "being young and swingle", "closing one chapter in life and opening another", I would love to be part of that party.

It's a money maker, just waiting to happen.

There wasn't a single thing about that that wasn't completely awesome...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back