Moving from Fuji to Canon??

danieldthomas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello first poster here!

I purchased my first camera ( a Fuji XT-1) as well as the 18-55mm, 35mm and 14mm before a 6 month backpacking trip last year and it is still my current setup. I also have an x100s which I absolutely love.

Being my first kit and the first time dabbling in photography I loved it and am hooked on photography and travel now. In a few weeks I am about to embark on another trip, 4-5 months living in Shanghai studying and then 3-5 months travelling through Central and South America, mainly Cuba, Guatemala and most importantly Patagonia and Peru.

This time around I am looking at taking this much more seriously and trying to get some paid work through my photography and writing hence I am looking to change kit. For this trip I will be doing a lot of the following:

- Night photography and night landscapes in Shanghai

- Outdoor/Adventure photography in Patagonia and Peru

- Astrophotography in Patagonia

- Filming

- Prints

The XT-1 is a great camera but I just feel like it if I am looking to go professional and get some paid work it won't be the workhorse I need it to be for the above tasks. It's low light performance isn't great, the filming capabilities are terrible and its hard to get big prints out of the smaller sensor. Therefore I am looking at moving over to Canon, namely the 5D series and am tossing up between the Mark ii and Mark iii.

At this point in time I can get a secondhand Mark ii with a low shutter count for a tad more than a $1000 AUD less than a secondhand Mark iii. Budget is a big issue here as I need the money to travel. I figured I could buy the Mark ii and invest the saved money in better glass and if I manage to get paid for some work, upgrade to the Mark iii in 4 or so months time. My question is, is there a huge performance gap between the Mark ii and Mark iii when being used for the previously mentioned work? Also am I being silly about switching kits? Also If I did move to Canon I would sell my XT-1 kit and use that money but keep the X100s as it is an excellent little camera for street work, something I love doing. Therefore I'd probably just need a landscape lens and general travel lens for the Canon. Any suggestions?

*** Also the size and weight difference between the two systems honestly doesn't bother me too much and shouldn't be a big deciding factor. If it's going to get the work done I will take the extra weight!

Sorry for the lengthy post! I appreciate any advice or feedback! Thanks in advance!

A year of amateur photography and you are now ready to turn pro. Pros aren't successful because of the cameras they use. They are successful because they do professional work. If you think a change of camera systems will have anything to do with your success I'm here to tell you that you are mistaken.

Yep, I also think it's a mistake.
The X-T1 with the 18-55mm 2.8-4 it's a very good camera.
Great for travelling (that's what you are about to do) also.

I don't think you will do better photos by just buying a better tool - you need to know how to work with the tool first.

Like someone once told me - "If you don't know if you need a full frame camera or not, you don't need it".

- Night photography and night landscapes in Shanghai

- Outdoor/Adventure photography in Patagonia and Peru

- Astrophotography in Patagonia

- Filming

- Prints
All these things can be done with the X-T1 (and can be done very good).

Cheers

AUD 1,000 won't even get you a decent lens for what you want.
Stick to the XT1.
I was about to suggest an A7S II for low light and then I saw your budget.

Skills, skills, skills will get your the results, gear comes second.
And talking about gear good glass is far more important then body.
And those aint cheap!

From the images that I've seen from Zack Arais using an XT-1. I would stick with it or upgrade in the the XT or XT Pro series. Since you are traveling, it is a much lighter system to haul around and I have heard great things about them.

Definitely think about extra batteries, SD cards, tripod(s), solar battery pack, etc.

I'd recommend going anywhere local that sells the Canon and actually holding it. Depending on what glass you're putting on it, you could be holding a lot of weight. Now, imagine that weight while you're hiking/backpacking on top of everything else. Just a thought.

Also, check out some of @The_Traveler 's photos on this site. He uses a mirrorless and has absolutely wonderful shots.

yes, if you a lot of travel keep the lightweight Fuji
Otherwise a 6D and some "L" lens

Stick to your X-T1, it is a perfectly capable camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back