Moving tips and tricks

Find some small boxes. Back the heavy things in those. Book, CDs, Movies, Dishware all go in small boxes. Don't fill up your biggest boxes with the heaviest stuff.

You'd think that might be common sense, but having spent six months as a full time mover, I can tell you there's a lot of people who didn't realize that, until I was carrying their 200lb box up a flight of stairs.

Also if you're moving with a moving truck/van. Stack all you boxes near the front close to the drivers cabin. After the boxes put your matress and box spring (assuming you can stand them up in the truck/van). After that put anything that is tall and heavy like book shelfs and cabinets. After that put couches, tables, chairs. The end of the truck is great is good for loose things like bikes and other Garage stuff.

When I started working for that company that was the "order" we had to do things.

It made sense because everything was equaly projected and nothing moved.

bace said:
Find some small boxes. Back the heavy things in those. Book, CDs, Movies, Dishware all go in small boxes. Don't fill up your biggest boxes with the heaviest stuff.

You'd think that might be common sense, but having spent six months as a full time mover, I can tell you there's a lot of people who didn't realize that, until I was carrying their 200lb box up a flight of stairs.

Also if you're moving with a moving truck/van. Stack all you boxes near the front close to the drivers cabin. After the boxes put your matress and box spring (assuming you can stand them up in the truck/van). After that put anything that is tall and heavy like book shelfs and cabinets. After that put couches, tables, chairs. The end of the truck is great is good for loose things like bikes and other Garage stuff.

When I started working for that company that was the "order" we had to do things.

It made sense because everything was equaly projected and nothing moved.

Yeah...you WOULD think that's common sense, but I didn't think about it! :lol:

I have a box from when I moved..it's the box my TV came in, so it's pretty big...and it's CRAM PACKED with nothing but envelopes of pictures I had developed at Walgreens over the last five years. NOTHING BUT PICTURES! My boyfriend is not a weakling, and he could barely lift it at all, much less carry it down a 1/2 flight and up a full flight of stairs! :lol: It took BOTH Erik and Tim (his best friend) to carry it! :lol: Yeah...I'm dumb.

Case in point.

Actually, to be honest, that box wasn't packed that way just for moving...that's how I had it stored in the closet for a very long time before that (at which time that box was perfect, because I never needed to move it) and Erik just moved it as it was...so it's not ALL my fault!

Mohain said:
And dont forget to change your address on your driving licence!

Good advice! I haven't thought about it! But I think that can be solved easily. What's more... i think I need to give some explanation to some of you, who don't know me well :) Right now I'm livint at my parent's house, where I occupy my room and nothing more. This is my adress, in all the papers - Id card, driving licence students card... and I think that I don't need toc hange my adress on those papers because hm..... do you think I should???

Make sure you leave enough time to pack and clean... I've made that mistake before and it left me and my roomie moving at 2am in the morning in the middle of winter.

mentos_007 said:
hah thanks fro all the advice. Actually the pluses are that I'm moving from one room to a 3 room flat :D so I'll have more more MORE space than now ...
And, Corry :) I'm single so no need to worry that my bf would pack me and I wouldn't find things :D

It's more that you'll be living out of boxes for two weeks. If you've got quite a bit of stuff, even just one room's worth, you'll be saying... "where's the hi-fi remote?" The answer is "it's in one of the living room boxes" ;) It's only useful if you've got a lot of stuff, but it helped me!

Rob
p.s. I'm coming round for your moving-in party! :)

Just take a bit of stuff, that way when you need to do laundry you can go back to your parents house, eat their food while you get your clothes washed then take a bit more - like stealth moving really, but with things getting done for you. :D

Rob said:
It's more that you'll be living out of boxes for two weeks. If you've got quite a bit of stuff, even just one room's worth, you'll be saying... "where's the hi-fi remote?" The answer is "it's in one of the living room boxes" ;) It's only useful if you've got a lot of stuff, but it helped me!

Rob
p.s. I'm coming round for your moving-in party! :)

yes I know. You promised :p You'll be in Kiev then so... Szczecin is the best stop between London and Kiev

Congrats on moving out Mentos! I just moved out myself and its been great. The things that we sort of forgot about till after we got there were things like power and phone service, call to get those things set up for your new place before you move in. We had our power shut off the day after we moved in cause the people who had lived here before us had cancelled the service under their name. Luckily the power lady was still around so we got her to put it back on, but it wasn't fun. Other then that, garage sales for all the stuff you will end up needing, cause there will always be more stuff.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back