Mpix Pro?

A good print comes out exactly as I'd edited it and how it looks on my screen. Some are contrasty, others are not, some are warm, others are cool. Some have a lot of contrast, others have virtually none.

Is 'they've given me exactly what I expect of them' hard to grok?

Most photographers have a personal preference, not all over the place so I thought I would ask. Got it, you like them all over the place. So, Mpix does all over the place well.

Come now, let's not pretend to be thick. He's saying that MPIX prints images exactly as he sends them to them. He gets them back looking exactly like his color calibrated monitor displays them. This is exactly what one expects from a printer. One does not expect a photo lab to apply their artistic vision to a digital file, one expects them to print the dang thing exactly as they got it.

Honestly, having put around a thousand bucks worth of stuff through MPIX with only one mistake (involving mounting, not printing), if you're getting crap back from MPIX it's probably because you don't understand how to color correct your images or calibrate your monitor (assuming you're not going by numbers). MPIX is run by Millers, one of the greatest (historically) labs there ever was, and at one time one of the hardest to get an account with. They don't print crap.

A good print comes out exactly as I'd edited it and how it looks on my screen. Some are contrasty, others are not, some are warm, others are cool. Some have a lot of contrast, others have virtually none.

Most photographers have a personal preference, not all over the place so I thought I would ask. Got it, you like them all over the place. So, Mpix does all over the place well.

Come now, let's not pretend to be thick. He's saying that MPIX prints images exactly as he sends them to them. He gets them back looking exactly like his color calibrated monitor displays them. This is exactly what one expects from a printer. One does not expect a photo lab to apply their artistic vision to a digital file, one expects them to print the dang thing exactly as they got it.

Honestly, having put around a thousand bucks worth of stuff through MPIX with only one mistake (involving mounting, not printing), if you're getting crap back from MPIX it's probably because you don't understand how to color correct your images or calibrate your monitor (assuming you're not going by numbers). MPIX is run by Millers, one of the greatest (historically) labs there ever was, and at one time one of the hardest to get an account with. They don't print crap.

It would be great if they did that, however they most certainly did apply their artistic vision. I know how to calibrate my monitor, I have no problem with any other lab I use, only Mpix. And yes, hate to break it to ya but they printed crap.

I know that on mpix(non pro) you do have to select "do not color correct" otherwise they apply the same type of auto adjustments that wallmart or drugstores use.

I am very happy with mpix prints; I would like to try some of their gallery wraps and mountings next.

I know that on mpix(non pro) you do have to select "do not color correct" otherwise they apply the same type of auto adjustments that wallmart or drugstores use.

I am very happy with mpix prints; I would like to try some of their gallery wraps and mountings next.

Well, yes and no. They don't apply audo adjustments, they have people manually doing the adjustments. With the MPIX regular service, they assume that you're not a pro and have no idea what color calibration or correction is. With MPIXpro, they offer no color correction services at all, they just print it the way they get it.

Sounds like you're trying to put your spin, on his words. Any print lab will goof a print occassionally.

They use real people and statistics guarantee they can't be perfect.

I figure my style is my responsibilty, not my print labs responsibility. I use Mpix for about half of all my printing

Mpix is a consumer print lab, not a pro lab. If you want a pro lab, get an account with Millers, the parent lab, or the new kid on the block MpixPro. I have a Millers account and they do most of the other half of my print work. I don't yet have a MpixPro account, but soon.

It would be great if they did that, however they most certainly did apply their artistic vision. I know how to calibrate my monitor, I have no problem with any other lab I use, only Mpix. And yes, hate to break it to ya but they printed crap.

I was flipping through some of your photos on your website (www.csrstudio.com); looking at the portraits, many of which appear to be film scans from the 80s, I would suspect that you might have a bit to learn about color correction (#8 and #13 stand out in this respect). Unless you really wanted your black point to be 44 51 75.

At any rate, my tone in my response was less to your dislike of MPIX and more to your attempt to try to cage rufus5150's words into meaning what you wanted them to mean. His satisfaction with his MPIX prints was not because he was satisfied with crap, as you seemed to imply, but rather because MPIX is well known for their high quality. Quality that I can testify to, as well. :)

Most reactions

Back