Mt Humphreys AZ

BasilFawlty

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
We just spent a week in AZ (camping in Flagstaff/ Sedona area) and of course took lots of pictures. If you Google "Flagstaff" and select Images, you will see a picture of Mt Humphrey, taken from a very specific spot on US 180. Well, coming back from Grand Canyon, as we were driving down US180, there was a great scene of pine trees lining the road, with mount Humphreys in the distance. I decided I had to get a shot of this view, so I pulled over at the first available spot and got out to get a picture. Just as I was getting out of the car, another guy pulled over in the same location, and got out with his camera. He explained that if you Google "Flagstaff" and select "Images" a picture from about this location was first in the list of images. Anyway, we both waled up the road a bit so as to get more trees in the picture, and I took a shot from the center of the highway. When I git back to camp, I Googled "Flagstaff" and sure enough, a very similar image was first in the list of images. Here's the Google'd image (Upper-Left):

Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 8.40.44 AM.jpeg

And here is my image (I think I was a little further up the hill than the Googled image:

Flagstaff-1778.jpeg

Really nice! The mountain looks a lot bigger in the googled pic. I wonder if they used a composite or zoom compression or even tilted a wide angle down a bit to get that mountain to appear larger in the background...

Great territory. Easy drive from next door too!

Really nice! The mountain looks a lot bigger in the googled pic. I wonder if they used a composite or zoom compression or even tilted a wide angle down a bit to get that mountain to appear larger in the background...
I think it's a combination of things. First, I was standing a bit further back and also was probably using a wider angle lens.

Nice shot. It may be my monitor, but the DOF seems to make the nearest trees look out of focus. Where was your focal point and what f/ stop were you using?

Nice shot. It may be my monitor, but the DOF seems to make the nearest trees look out of focus. Where was your focal point and what f/ stop were you using?
Very possible the trees close in are not sharp as they could be, but I'm ok with that since the main subject is the mountain and the trees serve to draw the eyes to the center. I was shooting at f8, 73mm and I probably focused on those trees that are straight ahead. The far point would be infinity, but near point of the Dof was probably 70-75 feet, so those near trees may very well be a little to close to be in perfect focus. The fact that it was very windy didn't help, though shutter speed was 1/200th.

Most reactions

Back