What's new

Multnomah Falls

RxForB3

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Feb 10, 2012
Messages
654
Reaction score
76
Location
Yakima, WA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's been a while since I've posted. Winter has really limited me photographically it seems. This was a somewhat hastily put together shot (was at the mercy of other people's timing), but I think it might have worked out alright. It's the first time I've felt I liked one of my photos better in B&W.

It was an 11 minute 43 second shot. I just figured I would give it a try and see what happens. It nicely eliminated the people that typically throng the bridge.

Which crop do you like best? Other thoughts/suggestions? Does it work at all?


Multnomah Falls by RxForB3, on Flickr


Multnomah Falls Crop by RxForB3, on Flickr
 
I like the first one better minus the rocky thing on the bottom. Good stuff.
 
The rock thingy (actually a log that would have been nice if I could have included the whole thing) was the reason for the crop. I'm not sure my photoshop skills would do the removal very well. Maybe I'll give a try later, though...

Thanks for your comment!
 
Does anyone have comments/critiques of the BW conversion? This was my first attempt...
 
Does anyone have comments/critiques of the BW conversion? This was my first attempt...

How did you do the conversion? My comment is that if you were to remove the falls, the rest of the image has very limited range of black and white. There is very little contrast in the rocks and if there are any patterns in them, they are not really that visible. A lot of what you end up with in a B&W conversion depends not only what you start with, but also how you actually do the conversion. The frustrating part of B&W conversions for me, and I have done quite a few of them, is the aspect that there are really so many different ways to do the conversion that you really have to do them to suit your taste and no one else's.

You may want to play with the tonal variations in the rock and vegetation, if there are any, and maybe boost the mid-tone contrast a bit. Not sure what to do, but it would be interesting to see the colour image that you converted.

WesternGuy
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom