Mum

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure if this works or not - b&w for flowers??? I liked the contrast. Again having issues getting my pics to show in the post but if you click on it, it should open. Comments, feedback, suggestions always welcome.

Edit to share from Flickr, thanks @jaomul

DSC_0414_9035b by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Attachments

• DSC_0414_9035b.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
I like it. A tighter crop might (or not) work better, but that's obviously a personal choice

You will get more feedback on photos if they open with the thread. To do this go to the share button on flickr if the photo is posted there, and copy bbc code size 1024 pixels

I like it. A tighter crop might (or not) work better, but that's obviously a personal choice

You will get more feedback on photos if they open with the thread. To do this go to the share button on flickr if the photo is posted there, and copy bbc code size 1024 pixels

Thanks I'll try that. Usually I upload right from my pc and that works fine in the thread but having issues doing that over the last few days. I might be at some type of image size limit...

Good call on the crop - I meant to crop it dead center and forgot.

I'm not getting a fully positive vibe from the monochromatic rendering of this mum. I think for this flower, the B&W is not helping at all. And I agree, a bit of cropping would improve this shot. It seems a bit high up in the frame, and there's a bit more empty space off to the sides than is optimal. Something does seem to be going on as far as images being posted over the last few days.

While b&w flowers can be done well, I like the color better on this one. The stem and leaves being more visible really balances/anchors the shot much better and I kind of like the blue monotone in the shot.

This one is a little underexposed, so there are no real highlights on the flower. B&W is great for flowers in many cases, but here I think if you brightened up the highlights to give it more contrast it would be more effective.

I agree about the use of space. Seeing the color version is helpful - there doesn't seem to be much contrast in the flower petals. I usually think about that if I'm going to shoot B&W (film, or plan to do a B&W version digitally), if it's sunny and if I think I'll get some nice contrast (or not and scrap the thought of doing B&W that day) or go ahead with it and try to find something with some dark and light in the subject or scene.

Most reactions

Back