Municipal Building C&C

Airborne_Guy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is in Van Nuys, California. Kind of wish the van wasn't parked out front.
thanks for the CC
VanNuys_20100722_163228DSC_0021.jpg

I'm planning on taking a college class this fall to help me with pretty much everything! Thanks again!

There is no light hitting the front of the building. And, as you say, there are cars in front. These are two huge problems, requiring a different time of day... maybe a completely different day when parking isn't a problem.

-Pete

There is no light hitting the front of the building. And, as you say, there are cars in front. These are two huge problems, requiring a different time of day... maybe a completely different day when parking isn't a problem.

-Pete

Light in front of building, check. I took this after I left a meeting with our higher. But I want light in front of the building or a building is what you are saying?

But I want light in front of the building or a building is what you are saying?

Yeah... the building is clearly your subject. Your main light (the sun) is striking the building from behind. See that nice light along the entire line of the building's edge? Imagine that happening on the front of the building... light skimming across the whole surface, communicating the shape and texture.

Here you have only the open sky (your fill light) on the front.

I do like the perfectly symmetrical approach.

-Pete

But I want light in front of the building or a building is what you are saying?

Yeah... the building is clearly your subject. Your main light (the sun) is striking the building from behind. See that nice light along the entire line of the building's edge? Imagine that happening on the front of the building... light skimming across the whole surface, communicating the shape and texture.

Here you have only the open sky (your fill light) on the front.

I do like the perfectly symmetrical approach.

-Pete
OK I see what youre saying. If Im not mistaken, light to the front will make the "shapes"of the building stand out more. Im sorry, Im new to this...

OK I see what youre saying. If Im not mistaken, light to the front will make the "shapes"of the building stand out more. Im sorry, Im new to this...

No need to apologize. That's what this place is all about.

Think of a portrait. Would you first consider lighting the person from behind? It's the same with buildings. Get some light on the front.

But, like portraits, straight-on, flat lighting won't tell the whole story, at least not in a flattering way. So it's really more the SHADOWS that will make the features of a building stand out.

A photograph is a two dimensional representation of a three dimensional scene. To communicate shape and texture in two dimensions, shadow is necessary. Think of how you first added shadow and highlight when drawing a picture of a sphere, and how it no longer appeared as a ring or a disc.

So if you return to that building at a time of day when the sun is hitting the front of the building from one side, you would better see the shape and texture of the building's features. And if you go on a Sunday, maybe no cars in front.

-Pete

Most reactions

New Topics

Back