Murmuration of Starlings Roosting

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
We have an amazing murmuration of Starlings, RWBBs and Common Grackles, there are hundreds of them and this time of year they all gather at the river at sunset for a bath, then they roost in the trees until the sun dips below the horizon and they take off and go to roost for the night in a nearby woods. While the autumn colours are glorious I converted to black and white because this is all about the birds.

Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks or taking a look!

IMG_8050bw-1 by Judi, on Flickr

IMG_8104bw-1 by Judi, on Flickr

Very cool! What an interesting way to show this.

I really like the first shot and the way it fills the space. I think it might appear more striking with an enclosing border around the image.

Thanks Brian :) I've shot these birds so many ways, trying to get the whole murmuration in one shot feels like a fools errand so far, with a wide enough focal length the birds become sooooo tiny and really get lost so at this point getting bits and pieces of the flock is the way to go until I figure out what to do with all of them together lol
Here is a shot of a bunch of them taking off, this is about 1/4 of the flock if that...

IMG_7945-2 by Judi, on Flickr

Thanks D! Good point, it kinda gets lost and the framing becomes a bit of a moot point when shown on white....

PixelRabbit said:
Thanks D! Good point, it kinda gets lost and the framing becomes a bit of a moot point when shown on white....

It has an almost digital infrared look, like Lightoom's infrared look...the vegetation looks very light, very delicate. I KNOW this would look great if it were matted on a light, 18% gray matte board.

PixelRabbit said:

It has an almost digital infrared look, like Lightoom's infrared look...the vegetation looks very light, very delicate. I KNOW this would look great if it were matted on a light, 18% gray matte board.

As I noted in the OP the leaves are changing and the trees are glorious vibrant yellows and oranges, I wanted the "quality" of them to remain but I wanted it to be secondary to the bird silhouettes. In the conversion I applied a yellow filter and bumped the yellow sensitivity a bit to up their exposure but not lose that ... luminosity then finished it off with a slight selenium filter. I'm putting this in to be printed so I will carry your thoughts forward!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back