What's new

Muslin Backdrop

dustin0479

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 10, 2010
Messages
227
Reaction score
9
Location
Delaware
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've seen them but havent bought, Im curious as well.
 
Just thinking out loud.....

An adult male square to the camera at shoulder width you're probably talking about 3'..... opps, wait a minute..... for the average American male square to the camera at shoulder width you're probably talking about 4' wide with some extra on the edges. If you want them 6' in front of the background and you'll need at least 8' A.F.F......... (see where I'm going) If you're doing couples, I'm thinking the 6'x9' background would be okay for head and shoulder shots. 6 foot wide might be limiting.
 
I do not shoot for money or shoot groups of people. This would really be for my kids and just general practice. I figure for multiple kids I would just turn it to be 9' wide.
 
I haven't bought any, but just made a couple of my own. I made 9'x12' for under $20 (I think - 108" x 4 yards). By the fabric from Joanns (use a coupon, get like 40% off), get some Rit dye and you got yourself a mottle/tie dye muslin that you can use for so much more than just headshots. And you can get as creative as you want with the patterns!

Oh. and if its mainly for your kids than it could be a cool "family project" to make some backdrops.
 
I have a grey one similar to the first one you listed but I believe the one I bought is 8x12. Think it was $20 on e-bay. Like was mentioned earlier, they're ok for just head and shoulder shots but for a full body shot you'll need atleast a 10x20
 
I've never been able to stand shots done with this kind of backdrop. I feel like it makes the photos look tacky. Are you sure this is the route you want to take over other potential backdrops?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom