must have filters?

mkalcevic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just ordered my first slr camera and I want to know from everyone, what they consider "must have" filters. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

Mike.

What kind of photos do you want to take? If you do anything outdoors in sunlight, I'd definitely recommend a polarizer.

You might want a simple UV filter as well to help protect your lens from scratches..much easier to replace a $10 UV filter than an entire lens... ;)

I agree with the previous post - I always keep a clear UV filter on my lens to protect it and carry a circular polarizer (please note in case you are not familair with filters that circular polarizers are needed for auto-focus cameras as linear polarizers can mess with the auto-focus system.)

If you want to do black and white or color seperation type work, red, green, and blue filters are pretty useless on digital cameras IMHO because you canalways just extract the red, green, or blue channel from the final color image. I realized this after I tried using a Red#25 filter for black and white relaized it didn't need it at all thanks to channel mixer in Photoshop!

ND filter or Graduated ND filter are also a good idea

ND= neutral density

Circular polarizer and ND as mentioned. As for the UV, I don't see the point of putting a cheap piece of glass in front of an expensive lens. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link and all that...Use the lens cap and hood, exercise some caution and common sense and you're good to go.

My essentials:

Polarizer
0.3, 0.6 and 0.9 ND Grads
81B Warm-up

...but it all depends what sort of photography you intend to do... if I did more black + white, I'd also include a red or orange filter. For portraits, the warm-up will be more important than the grads or polariser.

dsp921 has a good point regarding the UV or skylight filters... to get the best image quality, you want as little extra glass in front of your lens as possible... but then, if you shoot in 'hostile' environments (dusty, sandy, salt-water spray etc), then it makes sense to have a bit of extra protection - far better to scratch and have to replace a cheap UV filter than a couple of hundred bucks worth of lens...

mkalcevic said:
so basically, everyone uses a UV filter only for protection?

Yes... and I tend to take mine off when doing the actual shooting...

UV for protection
CPL
and NDs

I like my UV filters as they reduce haze when shooting landscapes or anything at a distance.

For some creative uses I'd recommend a star filter and a diffusion filter.:thumbup: It's something not easily done in Photoshop.

I don't mean to crash the thread, but what if you are experimenting with shutter speeds? Any kind-of filter you would want for something like that? Or taking pictures at night? I prefer taking pictures in the dark..

For myself: a medium yellow (K2) and that's it. I only shoot black and white and have seen no use for anything else with my shooting.

I used to always keep my UV filter on - no exceptions. But then mine started to age and the coating started to break down some - I was worried it was affecting my shots so now I take it off when I plan to shoot.

Lens Cap. Seriously. Much better at protecting a lens than a UV filter. I once thought a UV filter saved my lens, then realized that it had merely shattered from a side impact compressing the metal ring (lens was a cheap-o plastic deal on a cheap-o plastic body). Since then, having read that cheap UV filters are uncoated and add flare, I have trained myself to better protect my newer, more expensive camera by using the lens cap, the nice padded case, or by hanging it around my neck, where I've become habitually very protective of it (people laugh at me sometimes, but it's my money, not theirs).

I do have a somewhat pricey multicoated 2A UV filter since film is sensitive to UV and adds haze that the eye didn't see; but to tell the truth, I never notice much difference. I don't know whether Digital is affected the same way Film is. If I were to go back and do it again, I wouldn't bother, instead sending the money into my lens fund.

So, lens cap first, and second, polarizer or #25 red (for that high BW contrast, gotta love it!).

Most reactions

Back