'MUST HAVE' lenses?

Rob A

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
hey guys, i was just wandering what you think are the must have lenses? i am going to london soon and i wana do alot of urban/people photography (a little but like the urban snitch)

what lenses would you reccommend? not just for this though, for anything. at the moment i have EF 80-200 and an EFS 18-55. i want a EF 28-90 so i can use it on my film EOS30V. anything else? thanks guys

It all really depends on your style of shooting, no one lens is a must have for every situation. For urban stuff, I'd suggest a fast lens. At least F2.8 but F1.8 or F1.4 would be better.

That said, no EOS owner should be without a 50mm F1.8 if only because it's so inexpensive, especially for such a fast & sharp lens.

Yes... f2.8 or faster will come in handy.

The most important question I think is when you plan on taking your photographs. Yeah a 2.8 lens would be greeat, but for urban stuff, you're really going to need a zoom cuz it can be difficult to get the right composition by walking around. (I'm assuming you're going include people in your photographs, if not, disregard) In order to get a decent zoom at 2.8 you're gonna have to drop around 1,000 dollars. I think the lenses you have would suit you fine for most situations in urban photo. Although a 50mm 1.8 wouldn't be a bad addition for low-light situations.

FWIW, when I travel I take 3 lenses. 17-35mm f2.8, 24-85mm f2.8-4, & 80-400mm VR f4-5.6. The 24-85 also allows limited macro shots if needed. These are Nikon lenses but I'm sure Canon has equivilent ones. These cover just about all the situations I encounter.

well my favourite lens is my Sigma 15mm f2.8 fish eye (couldn't afford the nikon at the time!). I may well purchase the 10.5mm nikon fish eye as it's cheap on the net.

A fisheye lens works well with crowded surroundings such as London mainly because you can be so close to a subject(s) yet can fit so much into the frame. plus the fast aperture is always useful in low light. however, using a flash with a fisheye is a PAIN unless you use digital and can test it. When shooting film with my fisheye, I use an off camera flash cord and guess-timate

Rob A said:
hey guys, i was just wandering what you think are the must have lenses? i am going to london soon and i wana do alot of urban/people photography (a little but like the urban snitch)

what lenses would you reccommend? not just for this though, for anything. at the moment i have EF 80-200 and an EFS 18-55. i want a EF 28-90 so i can use it on my film EOS30V. anything else? thanks guys

Hey:)

Forget the long zoom for urban stuff. Leave the far away shooting to the CCTV.;) Go wide-normal and get in there. When I'm shooting in town I normally just take 21mm/35mm/50mm primes, one on the camera, the others in my pockets. Just fine!

F.Duddy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back