'MUST HAVE' lenses?

Rob A

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
hey guys, i was just wandering what you think are the must have lenses? i am going to london soon and i wana do alot of urban/people photography (a little but like the urban snitch)

what lenses would you reccommend? not just for this though, for anything. at the moment i have EF 80-200 and an EFS 18-55. i want a EF 28-90 so i can use it on my film EOS30V. anything else? thanks guys

Big Mike

I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It all really depends on your style of shooting, no one lens is a must have for every situation. For urban stuff, I'd suggest a fast lens. At least F2.8 but F1.8 or F1.4 would be better.

That said, no EOS owner should be without a 50mm F1.8 if only because it's so inexpensive, especially for such a fast & sharp lens.

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yes... f2.8 or faster will come in handy.

tr0gd0o0r

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
The most important question I think is when you plan on taking your photographs. Yeah a 2.8 lens would be greeat, but for urban stuff, you're really going to need a zoom cuz it can be difficult to get the right composition by walking around. (I'm assuming you're going include people in your photographs, if not, disregard) In order to get a decent zoom at 2.8 you're gonna have to drop around 1,000 dollars. I think the lenses you have would suit you fine for most situations in urban photo. Although a 50mm 1.8 wouldn't be a bad addition for low-light situations.

airgunr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
FWIW, when I travel I take 3 lenses. 17-35mm f2.8, 24-85mm f2.8-4, & 80-400mm VR f4-5.6. The 24-85 also allows limited macro shots if needed. These are Nikon lenses but I'm sure Canon has equivilent ones. These cover just about all the situations I encounter.

ajmall

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photodrew.co.uk
well my favourite lens is my Sigma 15mm f2.8 fish eye (couldn't afford the nikon at the time!). I may well purchase the 10.5mm nikon fish eye as it's cheap on the net.

A fisheye lens works well with crowded surroundings such as London mainly because you can be so close to a subject(s) yet can fit so much into the frame. plus the fast aperture is always useful in low light. however, using a flash with a fisheye is a PAIN unless you use digital and can test it. When shooting film with my fisheye, I use an off camera flash cord and guess-timate

FuddyDuddy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Rob A said:
hey guys, i was just wandering what you think are the must have lenses? i am going to london soon and i wana do alot of urban/people photography (a little but like the urban snitch)

what lenses would you reccommend? not just for this though, for anything. at the moment i have EF 80-200 and an EFS 18-55. i want a EF 28-90 so i can use it on my film EOS30V. anything else? thanks guys

Hey:)

Forget the long zoom for urban stuff. Leave the far away shooting to the CCTV.;) Go wide-normal and get in there. When I'm shooting in town I normally just take 21mm/35mm/50mm primes, one on the camera, the others in my pockets. Just fine!

F.Duddy

Most reactions