Must have portrait lens?

Shooting portraits its not optimal to shoot less than 50mm whether crop body or full frame. I'm curious why so many push the 17-50 in a "portrait" thread?

After my professor explained that to me I bought the 24-70 for my D7000. And used it more on the 70 end than the 24 on both my D7000 and D700.

Shooting portraits its not optimal to shoot less than 50mm whether crop body or full frame. I'm curious why so many push the 17-50 in a "portrait" thread?

After my professor explained that to me I bought the 24-70 for my D7000. And used it more on the 70 end than the 24 on both my D7000 and D700.

I think it comes down to space. Your professor is not wrong. But, with the trend of home studios and portraits taken in the homes of clients, new photographers get frustrated because of the tight spaces. This is where these zooms come into play.

That said, I will tell you . That when it is possible to shoot in a large space with room to use professional equipment effectively you will never again want to work in anything but. I learned studio work on a medium format film camera with a fixed 80mm lens. Because if this I use mainly a 70-200.

What portraits do you usually shoot? ex: head, head and shoulder, full body

Mostly full body shots of families, especially my own 5 kids. I'm just not sure about the fact that it doesn't have VR and the price is pretty steep.

Yesterday I was about to checkout with the 85 1.4 for 1500, but I had to step back and make sure it was the right thing for me. I didn't think it was that tight, since I have seen so many photos that squeezed in a whole family in the frame nicely.

You also gotta think about how close or far away you're going to have to be to get everyone in there. If you don't want to be on top of them, then you might want to go for a little longer and wider lens. And essentially , you're 85 turns into a 127 if you're shooting on the crop, whereas you're 24-70 is a 36-105. And just to throw it out there, some say "ideal portrait" is 105 and 85.

I recently took some portraits with a 60mm macro lens in tight quarters and was able to move in and out nicely. Granted these were not full body, which I cannot do in my space (I don't think...def not for adults) but it worked nicely. In the past I have used a 17-55 or a 70-200. This year I chose he 60mm. I have an 85mm, but did not use it inside yet.

The 24-70 is probably a solid versatile choice.

It's very hard to choose. I do know that the 24-70 would be more versatile, but I am afraid of purchasing it now and then an upgrade comes out soon.

Something is always changing. If you put that logic behind every purchase, you would never buy anything. Yes something new will come and possibly be better, but you should always make the best with what you have at your disposal.

You could rent each of the lenses before buying to see which fits your needs.

The 85mm G f/1.4 is $84 for a seven day rental.
The 24-70mm f/2.8 is $66 for a seven day rental.

I have used LensRentals before and had a very good experience with them.

LensRentals.com - Rent Nikon Lenses and Cameras

Just a thought.

It's very hard to choose. I do know that the 24-70 would be more versatile, but I am afraid of purchasing it now and then an upgrade comes out soon.

Are we on Canon's?...I think we are...its a decent lens...it has some issues on FF's but not on a crop...its reported to be heavy. I think that might be the worst of it. If you don't select that, then what are you considering? Look at the 24-105...see what you think about that one...I have been thinking about that one for a bit....

Are we on Canon's?...I think we are...its a decent lens.......
Opps.... I didn't check because I used Nikon on my LensRental search......

Oh Shoot....that was not a stab at you...it was timing...sometimes there are the same lenses for both mfgs...I just didnt want to comment if it was Nikon, so that was my pre-qualifer in case I was screwing up and someone told me I was off base sine it wa Nikon....

Prices for Nikon and Cannon rentals cant be that much differnt though...:hugs:

GeorgieGirl said:
Are we on Canon's?...I think we are...its a decent lens...it has some issues on FF's but not on a crop...its reported to be heavy. I think that might be the worst of it. If you don't select that, then what are you considering? Look at the 24-105...see what you think about that one...I have been thinking about that one for a bit....

I believe the OP shoots a Nikon....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back