My 50mm 1.8 and it's AF

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Why doesn't the AF ever work on this??? :(

It will try, and click and move around... and ... nothing :(

Is it really that "finnicky" of a lens that it has to be PERFECT for it to actually AF... There are times when I need it to AF instead of having it on MF, but I am afraid to put it on AF because it rarely focuses and I don't want to miss a shot :(

Any suggestions?

If you talked about the EF 50mm F/1.8 MKII, it should AF with your camera.

Of course, in some situation, you may not be able to focus correctly due to shadow DoF. i.e. when subject is moving and the shot is taken with F/1.8. By the time you focus it correctly (half-press shutter button), but the subject may move out of the focus when shot was taken.

Did you try it with a stationary object?

If there is not a lot of light in the scene you're trying to shoot AF might not be to reliable.

You can try turning on the AF assist feature in your camera menus.

I have this lens and I really like it. It is so sharp. Maybe you are too close to your subject. This lens does not take close ups. It simply will not focus on anything close to it. Try backing up a few steps and refocus and than again and again. I find that usually works for me.

That is the "Mark II". I used to have one. It is, at times, a bit balky at focusing. Its AF performance is in fact, one of the main faults listed by most owners of the lens when they are pressed to evaluate the lens and its performance. I found that under lower-contrast lighting or lower light levels, the lens did not AF nearly as well as the 50/1.4 or the 85/1.8.

Yes, that's the one I was talking about. I owned that lens before but sold it later on after I bought a used MK1 version.

AF of the lens is slow, but it should not have any problem. Try this. Lay a newspaper or a paper with text on a table. Take a photo of text at an angle and AF on one line.

Review the result and see if the line that you AF on is in focus. (better use a tripod)

i will try that this evening after my kids are in bed... It is IMPOSSIBLE for me to get into my "stuido" during the day :/ lol

A tip would be to point the highlited AF sensor at something very contrast in the frame like stiped and lines or things butted up next to each other with very contrasting colors

Most reactions

Back