My adventures with Nikon's WU-1a Wireless Adapter.

Im only using it to quickly share pics to social media so the 45mbs doesn't bother me. I have a 95mbs in slot 1 on my d7k it's writing a raw file to. I never need to machine gun it.

I still get a ton of PM's about this thread... I've answered most people (unless you had a 0 post count)..

PM me if you want more info... But if you don't participate on this forum (ie.. you don't post on this site) i probably won't respond.

Why are you ignoring people who have never posted here? I am on way too many forums to maintain a presence everywhere... but I still want to buy the app.

Hows this for an example.. after posting my message ~30 minutes ago.. I had 3 PM's from people wanting a status update (you included :) ).

The idea of this thread wasn't to get people to buy my app.. It was to get people talking about what wireless can do (or should do) for Nikon photographers.

Take a look at Fuji's software..
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fujifilm-camera-remote/id793063045?mt=8

and then take a look at what Nikon gives us..
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wireless-mobile-utility/id554157010?mt=8

Which would you rather have?

Well OBVIOUSLY I'd rather have the lame & mostly useless Nikon software! Why else would I have combed for hours through google searches, finally registered here and asked politely in a PM if you could share a scrap of detail about your project?

You still never answered why you delete PMs from 0-post-count users. The only answer I can think of is not very complimentary.

Well OBVIOUSLY I'd rather have the lame & mostly useless Nikon software! Why else would I have combed for hours through google searches, finally registered here and asked politely in a PM if you could share a scrap of detail about your project?

You still never answered why you delete PMs from 0-post-count users. The only answer I can think of is not very complimentary.

Wow.. i can see why your upset.. Hours of google searches.. eek.

I only did long nights, weekends, days off work and time away from my family to research and study the 'Picture Transfer Protocol' (ISO 15740). I only spent months looking at open source projects, debugging Linux source code and capturing wireless packets from existing apps. And then there is the time it took to convert all of that knowledge into a built-from-scratch 'library' that doesn't have the overhead of existing packages.

I can totally see why you deserve to be compensated for your hours of Google searching!! How about i send you a free iTunes code for the app when they release it? Thats what you want right? Because 99% of everybody that contacted me wanted my hard work for free (or close to it).

Here is a secret.. the minute Nikon releases a better wireless app (and i am 100% sure they will) sales of 3rd party wifi apps will drop. Do you think Fuji users are forking out $12 for a 3rd party app? Android users already have a FREE app (dslr dashboard)... i sold out! so sue me.. I could care less what you think of me :)

I only did long nights, weekends, days off work and time away from my family to research and study the 'Picture Transfer Protocol' (ISO 15740). I only spent months looking at open source projects, debugging Linux source code and capturing wireless packets from existing apps. And then there is the time it took to convert all of that knowledge into a built-from-scratch 'library' that doesn't have the overhead of existing packages.

I can totally see why you deserve to be compensated for your hours of Google searching!! How about i send you a free iTunes code for the app when they release it? Thats what you want right? Because 99% of everybody that contacted me wanted my hard work for free (or close to it).

Here is a secret.. the minute Nikon releases a better wireless app (and i am 100% sure they will) sales of 3rd party wifi apps will drop. Do you think Fuji users are forking out $12 for a 3rd party app? Android users already have a FREE app (dslr dashboard)... i sold out! so sue me.. I could care less what you think of me :)

Hmm.. ok, so starting to like this sue you idea. I'm sure I can gin up some pain and suffering. As I recall when I did do a google search I may have broken a nail. Might be some carpal tunnel issues in my future too - Say, could you recommend a good lawyer? I wonder if I even need a lawyer though.. I mean I could probably get all the legal advice I need right here on TPF.

Lol

wow man...chillax. Its all coolsies bro. Frosty.
you have people making a real effort to get in contact with you to get your product. isn't that a good thing? isn't that what people that develop products want?
the 1 post guys money spends just as well as the 1000 post guys. Alienating potential clients doesn't seem like such a great business move for the next app you develop.
I know, I know, you don't care. you mentioned that, and im not a business guy, or an app guy, so my opinion probably doesn't rank very high on your "give a crap" meter...
but I don't treat patients that treat me like crap, like that. let alone someone trying to give me money.

for the record, I think "selling out" is a BS line used by people that have no vested interest or risk involved in the product. you didn't "sell out", you made a business decision.

you have people making a real effort to get in contact with you to get your product. isn't that a good thing? isn't that what people that develop products want?
the 1 post guys money spends just as well as the 1000 post guys. Alienating potential clients doesn't seem like such a great business move for the next app you develop.
I know, I know, you don't care. you mentioned that, and im not a business guy, or an app guy, so my opinion probably doesn't rank very high on your "give a crap" meter...
but I don't treat patients that treat me like crap, like that. let alone someone trying to give me money.

for the record, I think "selling out" is a BS line used by people that have no vested interest or risk involved in the product. you didn't "sell out", you made a business decision.

What would you do if people PM'ed you each day on this site asking for medical advice? would you keep answering them all... even if they offered to pay $0.99 (technically under $0.60 after fee's and taxes). How long would you keep responding? a year?

These people aren't my 'clients'... Its a handful of people who think they are entitled to something. As i said... i responded to everybody who actually participates on this forum.

No, I believe I told you in my PMs that I would happily pay for this app (and not 99 cents). But you didn't read them, you just deleted them without warning. Apparently your time is worth something, but mine isn't... Those hours actually cost me something out of potential income, I would much rather pay you for probably like 20 minutes of my wage and we'd both be happy.

Except I'm not really sure what you want to get out of this. Probably just to raise your profile as a hotshot developer.

So again: why do you delete PMs (that you asked for) from 0-post-count users? Actually, you can continue to ignore that question. I'll just watch on the App Store for the released app, and give that unnamed video production company my money instead.

What would you do if people PM'ed you each day on this site asking for medical advice? would you keep answering them all... even if they offered to pay $0.99 (technically under $0.60 after fee's and taxes). How long would you keep responding? a year?

These people aren't my 'clients'... Its a handful of people who think they are entitled to something. As i said... i responded to everybody who actually participates on this forum.

really?

if I had a business where i could simply cut and paste a link to my app store, maybe even with a pre-written explanation, and have people go there and pay me money....hell yes i would answer every single PM, email, FB message, and piece of postal mail I got...regardless of their amount of participation on this forum.
people don't think they are "entitled" when they are willing to pay for it. obviously you are well off enough not to care about "dollars", but if i had people every day wanting to pay ME a $1 each, i would take as many as i could get, for as long as i could get it.

your system is like ME saying...im sorry, this is your first time calling 911, im not going to waste my time helping you. call back after you have had a few more incidents.

Holy Cow people .. give him a break.

He doesn't own it anymore.

You'll have to wait for it to be released by the previously mentioned company.

So he's getting PMs on a product he does not have in his possession anymore.

I don't post here often since a few people with all the answers have since becoming all knowing no longer need to discuss things. This happens to many forums. For this reason I would like to ask. What's the name of this app going to be? I may want this and I will pay for it. I do many kid portraits with Mom sitting there watching. I use a WiFi card to send shots to a tab that sits in front of mom. Also gives me a backup file automatically. I like this.

profound thinking about stuff

I just found this old thread and don't like the Nikon Wireless tool on iOS. Is there a better solution available now?

try: dlsrdashboard

While walking back from lunch today i stumbled upon an elusive WU-1a adapter. I've been toying with the idea of buying one but they come in-and-out of stock at Amazon, B&H and Adorama sporadically and i've never got around to pulling the trigger... until now.

First thoughts.. Brilliant move on Nikon's part!! I am going to loose this thing in a few hours.. then i have to buy another one!! $$$ cha-ching nikon! its soo small..

wu-1a.jpg

ignore the horrible picture from my phone

Its about the size of a dime... Even the case is small (about the size of a quarter). I expect this little toy to be lost in my bag, house, desk before the weekend is over.

My plans for this wifi adapter are three fold:

1. My daughter as a swim meet out of state the same day my son has his indoor football championship game. I'm going to test the usefulness of using a DSLR on social media (facebook/twitter updates w/pictures real-time for my wife during my sons game*). If it works out i may start using it during the high school games i shoot to provide 'near real time' updates from the field to the teams booster club social feeds.
  2. Remote Triggered Bird system. Put the camera next to one of our bird feeders in the back yard (covered with a rain cover to protect from bird-droppings)... Wait on the patio for a target to flutter in.. Take the picture remotely.
  3. Nerd Toy!
    1. Create my own mobile apps so i don't have to use Nikon's crappy software.
    2. Create a desktop app to control the camera from Windows/OSX wirelessly.

I haven't even used it yet but IMHO its about $20 more then its worth... I'll be more likely to replace it after i loose it for $39 vs. $59.

Does anybody else use one of these adapters (WU-1a or WU-1b)? What are your thoughts? Gimmick? Tool? Toy?

* Excuse used to purchase! :sexywink:
good post.
keep posting your result shot.. i like unique photo.
o.png

Most reactions

Back