My advice to a friend who is scheduled to shoot her first wedding in June 2013...

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend emailed me with news that she will be shooting a wedding this June -- I'm not sure if this will be her first wedding. She used to work in a photography store / studio years ago and has general knowledge of photography. I have never seen her work. I believe she is currently shooting with a D5100 and has an SB700 flash and a few lenses (18-55 kit, 35 1.8, maybe a few others). She wants to talk about acquiring the right equipment needed to shoot the wedding. She mentioned the D7000 and D7100, but thinks she may need a "pro" level camera. My advice to her (which I have not sent to her yet) follows below...

Please let me know if I am on track or where you would change my response to her. Here is my draft response...

"I am not a wedding photographer and I do not hold myself out as having the skills needed to shoot a wedding. I have been a member of a professional photography forum long enough, and seen the “first wedding help!” questions come up often enough, that I know how many full-time photography and wedding pros would respond to your question. So, having said that, let me offer the following comments based on my experience and based on what I have read in that forum. (www.thephotoforum.com)

First:
1. Have you ever shot a wedding?
2. Do you have a written contract?
3. Do you have insurance and are you incorporated?
4. Have you spoken to the bride/groom and gotten a list of “must have” photos (Uncle Joe, etc.)?
5. Have you been to the wedding location and reception location and confirmed if flash photography is permitted? If not, what are your options? Can you go in advance and take some test shots a month or 2 ahead of time to get familiar with the location(s)?

6. Will you shoot RAW and do you have the software / computer knowledge to edit your images?

7. Do you have the necessary equipment (and backup equipment) to shoot an indoor wedding?

8. Do you have an assistant to help you with your gear and to keep you on track?

And on and on....

At a minimum, you will need an FX body (preferably 2 in the event you have a problem with the first) with exceptional high ISO performance for indoor shots. If you are shooting Nikon, I’d suggest either the D600 ($2,000 for the body only at B&H), or the D800 ($2,800 body only). You will also likely need fast lenses (f/2.8), such as 24-70 ($1,900), and the 70-200 $2,400). You might also want a fast prime such as the Nikon 85mm (1.8) ($500). You can see that the cost of admission for the right equipment to “correctly” shoot a wedding is well over $10,000. You can certainly rent this equipment online for a LOT cheaper than buying it, but you will need time to get familiar with it so that you can use it properly.

Can you shoot a wedding with a D7000 or D7100? Sure. People do it all the time. They buy their first DSLR, take a few shots and get accolades on Facebook from family and friends and they think “this is easy” and they become a “professional” photographer overnight. These people generally lower the standards in the industry and generally get paid less than true pros because true pros know what their value is and will not take on a wedding from a bride who doesn’t know any better. Would you rather pay $1,200 for a wedding photographer with a D7000 and a kit lens, or $5,200 for a true pro shooting with a D800 and the above lenses? Many people care more about the cost, and not the quality (until the quality SUCKS), and so they go with the cheaper person. I, personally, would rather be the pro getting paid big bucks to shoot a quality wedding than to be the “poor bride’s” photographer.

In terms of having a photography contract, you would be well served to have a written contract that lays out at a minimum, specifically: (1) how long you will shoot (hours); (2) how many photos you will provide; (3) what the rights/obligations are of the bride/groom (e.g., under NO circumstances will they be permitted to see your unedited images, deposits, final payment schedule, etc.); (4) what happens in the event of a disagreement, etc. You must have a written contract. Don’t skimp on this.

I cannot stress enough that you must be insured and incorporated -- this is me wearing my attorney hat. Insurance is key for obvious reasons. Incorporating will protect your personal assets from the claims of a pissed off bride / plaintiff. I know, everybody says “this is a close personal friend” or “I’ve known Betsy for years...she would never sue me.” It’s amazing how fast people will turn on you, particularly for wedding photos which are a “one and done” event. There are no “do overs.” Word to the wise...

I know you may not want to hear this so please take this with a grain of salt and in the spirit of friendship with which it is offered -- and note that I have no clue about your photography skills or professional background, but if you have never photographed a wedding before and you are looking to acquire the right equipment a few months ahead of the wedding date, I would suggest that perhaps you are not ready to shoot a wedding as a “first” photographer. Many people shoot weddings as a second shooter for several years to learn what is needed to shoot the wedding correctly before they hang out their shingle and take on the job as the primary shooter."

Comments welcome and appreciated. Thanks for reading!!

The only thing I would add would be something regarding if the couple has seen her work and has some idea of what level of quality to expect.

Sounds pretty good to me Jdubs. Put your business card in their too, just incase they need your services after.

Maybe I missed it, the the format of the delivered product (CD? DVD? Prints? Book?) needs to be defined somewhere. Also, the obligations of the wedding party to be available and present for the photos to be taken.

Good list. Hopefully others can learn from this.

Incorporated? That sure adds a lot to the paper, records, and reporting workload.
If yearly revenues get high enough, being an LLC may be advisable.

Need FX?
Lots of experienced and professional wedding shooters shoot JPEGs instead of Raw files, and use DX camera bodies or use both FX and DX.

There are less expensive Nikon lens purchase alternatives to a 24-70 f/2.8 and a 70-200 mm f/2.8. The AF 24-85 mm f/2.8-4, which has a 1:2 macro capability from 35 mm to 85 mm useful for shooting the wedding rings and cake ornaments, and the costs-1/2-as-much AF 80-200 mm f/2.8.

The B&G should contractually be required to provide a family member to function as a 'wrangler' to gather the must-have-a-shot-of people and groups of people.

Incorporated? That sure adds a lot to the paper, records, and reporting workload. If yearly revenues get high enough, being an LLC may be advisable.

Keith, you do understand that being an LLC is being "incorporated," do you not?

I'm not sure what your thoughts are in terms of yearly revenues -- how do you think that come into play in terms of wanting to incorporate?

LLC is not the same as a corporation.

Not that I don't agree with you that an LLC wouldn't be sufficient.

Edit: That should read WOULD be sufficient. I'm on pain meds today.

Last edited:

"A limited liability company (LLC) is a flexible form of enterprise that blends elements of partnership and corporate structures. It is a legal form of company that provides limited liability to its owners in the vast majority of United States jurisdictions. LLCs do not need to be organized for profit."

LLC is a form of corporation and for purposes of limited liability, it's identical.

LLC is a form of corporation and for purposes of limited liability, it's identical.

That's why I said it's sufficient.

Edit, never mind, I see the problem. I said insufficient. I must have been thinking of my checking account. Scratch that.

I'm gonna stick with the lawyer's interpretation on this one ;)

Your strong advocacy of an FX body struck me as odd, though. Is this actually part of the TPF zeitgeist on wedding photography? If so, why? Not start a big argument, but if someone has a short bullet list on that specific point, I'd like to see it.

I'm gonna stick with the lawyer's interpretation on this one ;)

Smart choice. :sexywink:

Your strong advocacy of an FX body struck me as odd, though. Is this actually part of the TPF zeitgeist on wedding photography? If so, why? Not start a big argument, but if someone has a short bullet list on that specific point, I'd like to see it.

Not at all. That's why I posted my response and made clear that I'm not a pro. If you think a DX body like the D7000 or D7100 would suffice, then I'm all ears. I just know most of the people I know who shoot full-time use an FX body, and I hear on this forum that FX is the best because of the ISO performance.

First wedding photography starter thread that isn't giving me a migraine lol. Looks looks pretty good for advice. Pgriz is right about putting in the contract what type of product they will receive in the package also I usually give my expected delivery time frame as well yada yada. Only disagreement I have is the fx body. Two bodies defiantly, both fx or both dx for consistency. Im one of the dx wedding photographers. Would an fx body be better low light probably. But my D90 and accessories have served me well. Good luck to your friend and hope it runs smoothly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back