My advice to a friend who is scheduled to shoot her first wedding in June 2013...

My wedding was shot with a D2Hs. He probably would have killed to have D7000 back then.

Okay, then it seems a DX body will work. Besides the 2 bodies and several lenses, do the wedding pros always bring soft boxes, umbrellas, etc, or something else to shoot groups?

Heck, I'm not crazy, I don't shoot weddings ;) For all I know the shallow DoF available on an FX body is critical for some specific set of shots that every bride wants these days.

Okay, then it seems a DX body will work. Besides the 2 bodies and several lenses, do the wedding pros always bring soft boxes, umbrellas, etc, or something else to shoot groups?

I would consider that a must. Maybe not a lot of it, but yeah, they need to have something that will evenly light ten or twelve people I would think.

I'm gonna stick with the lawyer's interpretation on this one ;)

Smart choice. :sexywink:

Your strong advocacy of an FX body struck me as odd, though. Is this actually part of the TPF zeitgeist on wedding photography? If so, why? Not start a big argument, but if someone has a short bullet list on that specific point, I'd like to see it.

Not at all. That's why I posted my response and made clear that I'm not a pro. If you think a DX body like the D7000 or D7100 would suffice, then I'm all ears. I just know most of the people I know who shoot full-time use an FX body, and I hear on this forum that FX is the best because of the ISO performance.

just because you use a DX camera, doesnt mean you need to jack the ISO up. to combat low light at weddings, we use..
fast glass. f/2.8 zooms, and primes in a wide range of lengths.
flashes. a bunch of them wherever and whenever we can. on camera and off camera.
shoot raw. just for the little bit of extra help.

even our old D200 makes a perfectly fine wedding and portrait camera when used properly.
ideally? yea. a D600, 700, or 800 would be wonderful. eventually we will probably migrate over to FF, but I dont see it as "necessary".

yes! we bring multiple flashes all with stands and umbrellas/softboxes.

Is there a thread on here comparing the D7000 to the D600? My search function does not work very well...

Also consider that I'm just as medicated now as I was earlier when I mixed my words up. In fact I'm due for a dose in fifteen minutes or so if I'm going to chime in on anything important, the sooner the better.

Tri pod, extra batteries a must as well ad your battery charger better safe than sorry. If I listed every thing I carry fir a wedding you friend may have a heartattack. Lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back