My American Pit Bull Terrier mix!

Aidan9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Meet Atlas: He's an american pit bull terrier X bull terrier mix. I rescued him just a few weeks ago! He's great for the camera.

Atlas1.jpg

Atlas7.jpg

Atlas5.jpg

Aidan, exercise your critical faculties here.
Which one is the best?
Why do you think so?
What is it about the picture that other people, who may nopt care about dogs at all, would care about?

Cute! I think thefirst two have an orangish yellowish tinge.

My favorite is the 2nd one I took. I think it captures his personality the best..he's a big goofy and slightly dumb dog, but I love him. I was experimenting with my camera while out on a walk today using the manual settings..so I may have set something up incorrectly. I'm taking classes in the spring but until then I'm just learning what I can on my own! I'm not sure about the orange tint..although my dog is slightly orange from the clay type sand all over my backyard. It's difficult to keep him looking white..but if it's a setting I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. It was hard finding places to hide from the sun..I went out a bit earlier than I wanted to and the sun was still very much all over the place.

Aidan,

If this was a dog site, then 3 pictures of your dog would be fine because dog lovers would just be happy to see more.
This is a photography site and we are interested in pictures rather than the subject.
You should look at your pictures, figure out which one you think is the best and why as a photograph.
Then the comments will help you be a better photographer.

The most 'powerful' places in a picture are generally at the junction of the thirds. This 'rule' doesn't really count for portrait where the main subject can dominate the center but needs to be considered.
Look at this picture.
The only interesting parts, the center of interest is in the top left part of the picture and the top right corner is essentially empty.
Not only is in empty but it is the brightest part of the picture, thus drawing the viewers' eye.

I understand the problem with posing essentially horizontal subjects - but that is the photographers' problem to make a good photograph

atlas7lll.jpg

The_Traveler: Thank you for your comments! They are very helpful and informative and will definitely be on my mind next time I go out to take pictures. I wish I had more to photograph besides dogs...but right now I feel weird taking pictures of strangers...even though I know people do it all the time! Is there anything I can do about the bright spot to the right in those pictures? I do have photoshop and I thought about seeing what I could do with the dodge tool and play around with it. I do think it's a nice snapshot of the dog; but I agree it's not really interesting unless you like dogs, or know the dog in that photograph!

My opinion? The breed should be eradicated. You were 'shooting' with the wrong type of equipment, IMO. A rifle would have been more fitting.

I just hope there are no small kids around that dog.

And before you say that this dog has never shown any signs of agression, I would point you to the thousands of stories that have said the same thing. The breed is unstable and has proven it time and again.

Last edited:
Stupid people should be "eradicated" , has nothing to do with the dog or the breed, you can train a lab to be just as aggressive as a pitty.

Stupid people should be "eradicated" , has nothing to do with the dog or the breed, you can train a lab to be just as aggressive as a pitty.
You can't pull up thousands of stories about a lab who attacked their owners. You can with the Pit Bull. It has everything to do with the dog and the breed. They are simply unstable.

"Pit bull attack" brings us 35 million hits. That is not normal. The breed should be eradicated...period.

That's not very nice. I could also point you to a story about an elderly woman killed by her own Golden Retriever. No, there were no small children around him. He goes to obedience training and is working on his certification to be a therapy dog. I agree they are a dangerous breed and many people should not own them. In fact, there are people who have no business owning any dog regardless of breed. I don't believe dogs are born mean..someone has to make them that way. He's a family pet and lives indoors not at the end of some 5 foot chain. I also would never leave him anywhere unsupervised. Dog bites and attacks are 100% preventable either by the owner of the dog or parent of the child.

There are good and bad stories. I personally just believe pits attract the wrong type of owner. I have neighbors who have no business owning pit bulls and I believe all 3 of their dogs should be put down. They are dangerous, unstable and would probably bite a child if they got the chance to do so. I love that my dog has such a great temperament. He's a wonderful example of the breed.

http://www.zootoo.com/petnews/stray-pit-bull-saves-woman-child-from-attacker-993 - Will probably never get major news attention.

Last edited:
As Traveler has pointed out, there is a little work to be done. Always try to remember that you eye will generally wander towards the brightest part of the image. That's one of the biggest things I have learned that has helped me with any type of photography.

My opinion? The breed should be eradicated. You were 'shooting' with the wrong type of equipment, IMO. A rifle would have been more fitting.

I just hope there are no small kids around that dog.

And before you say that this dog has never shown any signs of agression, I would point you to the thousands of stories that have said the same thing. The breed is unstable and has proven it time and again.

I'm sorry, did he ask what your opinion was on that particular breed of dog? Don't voice your opinion on something completely unrelated just to troll.

The_Traveler: Thank you for your comments! They are very helpful and informative and will definitely be on my mind next time I go out to take pictures. I wish I had more to photograph besides dogs...but right now I feel weird taking pictures of strangers...even though I know people do it all the time! Is there anything I can do about the bright spot to the right in those pictures? I do have photoshop and I thought about seeing what I could do with the dodge tool and play around with it. I do think it's a nice snapshot of the dog; but I agree it's not really interesting unless you like dogs, or know the dog in that photograph!

I don't think dodge was what you meant, I think you meant burn tool?

And I would title this "ball's out".
Hah.

I think it's a cool shot
I've never taken a picture of my pups
They become to interested and start looking too alerted, can never get them relaxed.

You can't pull up thousands of stories about a lab who attacked their owners. You can with the Pit Bull. It has everything to do with the dog and the breed. They are simply unstable.

"Pit bull attack" brings us 35 million hits. That is not normal. The breed should be eradicated...period.

Thats because most of the people who buy pitts have no business in owning a dog in the first place. Its people like you who believe everything they see on the internet and t.v that give the breed a bad reputation

That's not very nice. I could also point you to a story about an elderly woman killed by her own Golden Retriever. No, there were no small children around him. He goes to obedience training and is working on his certification to be a therapy dog. I agree they are a dangerous breed and many people should not own them. In fact, there are people who have no business owning any dog regardless of breed. I don't believe dogs are born mean..someone has to make them that way. He's a family pet and lives indoors not at the end of some 5 foot chain. I also would never leave him anywhere unsupervised. Dog bites and attacks are 100% preventable either by the owner of the dog or parent of the child.
Fine. I agree with you. Yours is also the most reasonable response I have ever read. I happen to own a snake. I own a ball python instead of a reticulated python. There is a difference between a lab and a pit bull. Just as there is a difference between a ball python and a reticulated python.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back