My aunts Wedding HELP!

maybe you should rent a better DSLR for this photo shoot!

I think your best bet overall would be to just go and shoot how you would if you were out with your sister having fun for the day. Pit yourselves against each other in a friendly/fun competition of who can get the "cutest" or most "romantic" shots and then compare at the end.

Don't stress too much about lighting or true composition. Your Aunt won't notice those things like the people here will. I would still recommend posting what you feel were some of your best shots so that, even though Aunt Emma will love them, you can find out how you can improve them from the folks here.

Just have fun and you'll end up with photos your Aunt will love, simple as that for now. If you go crazy thinking of the gear you can't get or afford by the wedding date, it'll just add unnecessary stress. Relax and take a TON of shots.

Good Luck!
~Tom

maybe you should rent a better DSLR for this photo shoot!
THIS is the best idea I've seen so far. Turn it into a learning experience of your own! I'm sure they won't mind fronting a small rental fee.

A quick anecdote about the last wedding I was at.

My cousin was just back from Marine basic and was marrying his girlfriend right around christmas. They had wanted me to photograph the wedding. I said thanks for the offer, but I didn't have the gear. I knew where it was going to be and I knew with 100% certainty that my D60 and 5.6 lenses weren't gonna cut it at all.

So I called a good friend of mine who had just graduated from Hallmark and was putting together a more comprehensive portfolio and asked her if she'd be interested in doing this wedding for a discount.

In the mean time, my cousin's aunt offered to do the photography for free. When we got to the church, there's the "photographer's" "assistant" trying to set up a tripod for the video camera. He could not figure out for the life of him how to get the camera attached to the tripod. It was a fairly standard quick disconnect. After watching him struggle for about 5 minutes I got up, walked over, disconnected the plate, screwed it into the camera and reconnected it in about 15 seconds.

It was at that point I realized I probably should have taken the chance and shot the wedding. Guess who's photos came out better than the official photographer...

One of my favorites. "There is no spoon, Neo."

Agree with the post a couple before this, relax and have fun. Its your sister shoot the wedding like its a day out with her, have fun with it and everything will work out fine.

Maybe have your aunt purchase some disposable cameras (10 to 20 maybe) and hand them to the guests and ask them to take whatever they like on that day. At the end of the day, ask them to return the cameras.

I have to wonder if the OP has ever used an SLR. If not, renting one a couple days before the wedding may or may not help the situation.

I have to wonder if the OP has ever used an SLR. If not, renting one a couple days before the wedding may or may not help the situation.

Might be a little intimidating too! If the OP has good experience and some knowledge in iso / aperture / shutter, using the AV mode would be all she needs.

I am totally just a beginner and I really don’t know how I’m going to do this. Our cameras aren’t bad but they are definitely not good enough to do weddings. I have already told our aunt that we can’t do this but she insists. Our mom is going to help with pictures too but she has only been interested in photography for a few months. She has a better camera then us but she doesn't really know how to use it. She says she is going to put it on auto; I am going to put mine on manual.

Might be a little intimidating too! If the OP has good experience and some knowledge in iso / aperture / shutter, using the AV mode would be all she needs.

OP seems to know how to handle camera in "Manual" mode.
Another option is for OP to switch cameras with her mom - since mom wants to use "Auto" mode anyways :)

Anyways, I wish OP best of luck :thumbup:

I think your best bet overall would be to just go and shoot how you would if you were out with your sister having fun for the day. Pit yourselves against each other in a friendly/fun competition of who can get the "cutest" or most "romantic" shots and then compare at the end.

Don't stress too much about lighting or true composition. Your Aunt won't notice those things like the people here will. I would still recommend posting what you feel were some of your best shots so that, even though Aunt Emma will love them, you can find out how you can improve them from the folks here.

Just have fun and you'll end up with photos your Aunt will love, simple as that for now. If you go crazy thinking of the gear you can't get or afford by the wedding date, it'll just add unnecessary stress. Relax and take a TON of shots.

Good Luck!
~Tom

I'll post some of my best photos for some C&C after the wedding. I actually have a few photos of my aunt and her fiance. They wanted a picture to put in a frame and in the guestbook. There's a pole sticking out of Emma's head but she loves them anyways.

Anyone one is welcomed to edit them.

rissasphotos007.jpg

rissasphotos012.jpg

This is my sisters photo she edited it a little

jayjayphotos009edit.jpg

Maybe have your aunt purchase some disposable cameras (10 to 20 maybe) and hand them to the guests and ask them to take whatever they like on that day. At the end of the day, ask them to return the cameras.

Thats a really good idea, but are aunt is on a tight budget and she doesn't want to spend anymore money for the wedding. ;)

Emma looks very pretty.

What camera did you use? Lots of noise in the images :(

Yeah I noticed the noise to, I use a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20/B 10.1 MP Digital Camera. Its not the best camera, but it will have to make do. I also think I had the ISO to high and thats probably also why its noisy. :(

If you want to you can try editing them. But I dont know if you have a some type of editer like photoshop.

You poor thing lol.. Here is one.. If you send me a higher quality ones I may help you out.

auntwedding.jpg

Most reactions

Back