my baby again

JimmyJaceyMom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay so I know there is a TON of stuff wrong with these and I am getting frustrated with myself but some i thought were ok and I thought I would share them with you guys. As soon as I figure out how my camera works I'll take some good photos ok? :lol:
jaceyduckie2.jpg

jaceyduckies3.jpg

jaceybw.jpg

jaceyducks.jpg

jaceyhat.jpg

AND THIS IS HER SAYING MOM, YOU SUCK AT THIS - DONT HOLD YOUR BREATH TIL YOU GET A GOOD ONE! HAHA
jaceypink.jpg

Anyone can tell me what kind of lighting they use if you wish. I would love to know cause that is my biggest hurdle!

Beautiful subject. And now for the CC... you posted a lot of pictures so I have a lot of CC!!! In the last one, see how it looks like the focus fell on her overalls? Make sure you've got the eyes in focus. Also, make sure you make your back drop less wrinkly and that it completely covers behind her. I see you have some shadows and I do not shoot in the studio, so I cannot tell you what to do about that.

As far as the conversions go, I do not think they do the pictures justice. The first picture is your best, I think, so I am going to play with it a bit in photoshop and see what I can do with it. What are you shooting with? Can you post your settings? Your pictures seem to be grainy, under-exposed, and quite flat so I'm trying to figure out what's causing it.

This is my take on the pictures. I think they are pretty badly underexposed and so there's no much you can do to salvage them. For baby pictures, I like high contrast and bright faces. This is just play and it took about 3 minutes so obviously you could get it a lot better than this, but this is sort of what I picture for these pictures? I cropped tighter too.

babygirlmp6.jpg

thank you so much for your help. Yes you are right they are underexposed. The originals of these photos are just very dark and it seems like no matter what type of lighting I use they're either blown out or the shadows are awful.
I am using a Canon Rebel XT. And I have tried just about every setting and I cant seem to get it. I have gotten books form the library and bought the dummies guide and the rebel feild guide which is specific to my camera and trying to figure out the settings is equivelent to a five year old trying to learn how to perform brain surgery! lol I just dont understand. I learn better by someone showing me than by reading about things. I have always been that way. But no one I know knows what to do either.
They have non credit courses at community college in the summer so I am hoping that they can help me 'hands on' cause reading what to do with this camera just gets me frustrated. I think I have it then I'm like wait... what? Sucks that I was given a photograophy bug and it isn't what I was meant to do! haha. I actually got so frustrated that at one point I put the camera and everything that came with it back in the box with the reciept taped to it. My husband took it back out though. ugh.
I'll keep trying though and I seriously thank you for trying to help me. ;)

thank you so much for your help. Yes you are right they are underexposed. The originals of these photos are just very dark and it seems like no matter what type of lighting I use they're either blown out or the shadows are awful.
I am using a Canon Rebel XT. And I have tried just about every setting and I cant seem to get it. I have gotten books form the library and bought the dummies guide and the rebel feild guide which is specific to my camera and trying to figure out the settings is equivelent to a five year old trying to learn how to perform brain surgery! lol I just dont understand. I learn better by someone showing me than by reading about things. I have always been that way. But no one I know knows what to do either.
They have non credit courses at community college in the summer so I am hoping that they can help me 'hands on' cause reading what to do with this camera just gets me frustrated. I think I have it then I'm like wait... what? Sucks that I was given a photograophy bug and it isn't what I was meant to do! haha. I actually got so frustrated that at one point I put the camera and everything that came with it back in the box with the reciept taped to it. My husband took it back out though. ugh.
I'll keep trying though and I seriously thank you for trying to help me. ;)
Photography isnt a virus...its in you, part of you, capturing an emotion, freezing a moment is an art..give yourself time, plus, that kid is just going to get cuter!!!

Hi again,

I see two main problems that you can fix pretty easy.
1- The shots seem to be out of focus and washed out colors
2-you have some sahdow issues

the shadows are the easiest to fix so lets start there. If you have the room move the baby about three feet away from the backdrop and the shadows will disappear.

For the color, read the part of your manual about the parameters on page 63 of the rebel manual and make sure you have it set on parameter 1

As far as being out of focus, it depends on a bunch of stuff. I always use manual mode but if you don't know how to use it properly you will get not so good results so try using shutter priority mode.

Shutter priority is good for things that are in motion often. I'm also guessing you are using the kit lens, so if your shutter speed is less then 60 and you are holding the camera it will be out of focus.

I hope this helps.

Mike V

Vandecarr, thank you so much that really does help! You're awesome. I will be trying those out tomorrow, I'll let you know how it works out. :)

Glad you're reading up on it :) Try Scott Kelby's Digital Photography and Peterson's (Paterson's?) Understanding Exposure. The second should help you a LOT.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back