My best picture so far

Mrk007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is one of my favorite pictures that I made so far. I just bought my first DSLR about 3 months ago and I experimented a bit while being on holiday in Italy.

I like the simplicity and atmosphere of the picture. The only things that are bothering me are the plastic chair and the flower pot which is covering the back wheel of the car a bit. What is your opinion?

Thank you!

$Fiat 500 Koen Scheys.jpg

Sometimes, when I'm trying to assess how well a photo works, I think to myself, "how could this be used?"

Is it something I'd frame and hang on the wall? Blow up to poster size and put over the mantle? Put it in a calendar? Make postcards out of it? Could it be used in advertising, and what would it sell? Does it belong in a museum? Use it as a desktop image? What sets it apart and makes it unique and special? Does it evoke emotions of joy, sadness, yearning, or anything else in people when they look at it? Why do I want to keep this, and what would I do with it?

When you, as the photographer, look at this, how do you answer those kinds of questions to yourself?

There are some positives to this picture, such as the textures of the stone surfaces.

What I don't care for is the fact that the car looks like it's cantilevered off that pot, and there is a plastic chair in the foreground.

Here's my prediction: another 3 months or so into your hobby, you'll look back at this photo and ask yourself "why did I like this again?" That happened... and continues to happen... to me all the time.

Sometimes, when I'm trying to assess how well a photo works, I think to myself, "how could this be used?"

Is it something I'd frame and hang on the wall? Blow up to poster size and put over the mantle? Put it in a calendar? Make postcards out of it? Could it be used in advertising, and what would it sell? Does it belong in a museum? Use it as a desktop image? What sets it apart and makes it unique and special? Does it evoke emotions of joy, sadness, yearning, or anything else in people when they look at it? Why do I want to keep this, and what would I do with it?

When you, as the photographer, look at this, how do you answer those kinds of questions to yourself?

You are right. I do the same when I see a picture. But sometimes, seeing a picture without knowing its background or story can be interesting too. It can just look good.
Concerning this picture: I took it in a small town in Sicily, Italy. It was more of a snapshot but afterwards, I felt that it could be printed as a poster or it could be used in an advertising for perfume :D I think the picture looks peaceful and calm.
So, just to outline the background of the picture ;-)

There are some positives to this picture, such as the textures of the stone surfaces.

What I don't care for is the fact that the car looks like it's cantilevered off that pot, and there is a plastic chair in the foreground.

Here's my prediction: another 3 months or so into your hobby, you'll look back at this photo and ask yourself "why did I like this again?" That happened... and continues to happen... to me all the time.

Thank you.
So if I understand well, in 3 months I'll make better pictures than this, and this picture will look not special anymore? That's my goal in fact ;)

Title sums it up. Nice shot for now. You get a better one, replace it in your portfolio.

Decide what in that image made you take it
I would think it was the fiat 500 against the old and delapidated doorway At moment you pressed the shutter I bet you didnt see the chair and pot Heart over Head most of us are guilty of it
Next time you take a static shot, shoot then say to your self what spoils it and try for a better angle or go move the chair But shoot it first that gets rid of the heart then use the head to take subsiquent shots
Often whats not the main subject is the most important in the final image
Speaking from as a person that has more pixels in the bin than saved

Most reactions

Back