My big hello and my bigger HELP ME PLEASE!!

dorsetman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Firstly hello, im Adam and i have literally just joined. I have very recently got into photography again. I used to have a film SLR, a Canon (who else) and i loved it but as film went out and got a whole lot more expensive i put my camera away. Of course now the bug has again bitten with a vengence and i am keen to buy a new camera and lenses and enjoy what i used too.

Soooo....questions.

1: I have a budget of circa £600 for a camera. I am looking at the Canon EOS 550D at the moment. Does anyone have any experience of one of these and if so any pics they can share with me at low light and i would love to see a landscape taken with one.

2: Should i go with the Canon can you reccommend a ladscape lens and a macro lens please.

I greatly appreciate any help you can give me and i look forward to speaking with you all more often

Keep in mind, I'm a complete rookie, but I just took a class from canon the last two nights and he explained that you should only purchase a macro lens, if macro is your passion. That a lot of the tele lenses give decent macro shots. In his opinion, the best lens to get right away was a wide angle and a tele... of course, that was merely one reps opinion. I only have a 18-55 canon, a 70-300 quantaray and a 70-200 tamron. The only reason I have two tele lenses is because when I upgraded my camera from an XTI to a 60D, they felt the 70-300 lens I had would likely hamper what I was attempting to shoot on the new camera. I do a lot of hockey shots, and it's not capable of the shutter speeds that my new camera has.

Hey Icequeen, thank you for the reply. Thats interesting to know and very much appreciated. I do have a passion for Macro work so a dedicated macro lens will be required, im a big nature fan you see and live near a huge forest with many wonderful fungi and insects as well as grow a great many wonderful flowers and vegetables. In your opinion, which of your lenses is best for landscape photography. Also do you have any pics, i would love to see your work!

Do you still have the lenses from your old film Canon? If you get another Canon they may still fit it. Just something to look into.

Hey Netskimmer, thats a very good point. Ill have to check that!!

If your older Canon lenses are of the autofocus 'EF' variety, then yes, they will work with any new Canon DSLR. But if they are manual focus 'FD' lenses, they will not.

If your older Canon lenses are of the autofocus 'EF' variety, then yes, they will work with any new Canon DSLR. But if they are manual focus 'FD' lenses, they will not.
Just one thing to add - there's a certain possibility of using those lenses anyway thanks to adapters, but it's true it has its problems.. For example one source of information: Manual lenses with EOS cameras

Most reactions

Back