My Buddy's Puffer

TheFantasticG

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.gplimages.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a friend who is a master fish tank builder. He doesn't literally build the tanks (though he could) but I mean he builds the ecosystem for the fish to live in. If I was ever to have a large 150+ gallon setup, he'd be the guy I call to get it going and make it look farking beautiful. Because he is so anal-retentive about keeping his tanks clean, they are a pleasure to shoot in.

Here's a puffer he has in a 100+ gallon tank.

2011-11-13 - The Visit-5.jpg by The Fantastic G, on Flickr

2011-11-13 - The Visit-12.jpg by The Fantastic G, on Flickr

2011-11-13 - The Visit-14.jpg by The Fantastic G, on Flickr

2011-11-13 - The Visit-96.jpg by The Fantastic G, on Flickr

2011-11-13 - The Visit-99.jpg by The Fantastic G, on Flickr

2011-11-13 - The Visit-98.jpg by The Fantastic G, on Flickr

Cool, eh? Well, I think so :lol:

Very nice! I have a friend with a 150 gal tank that looks amazing. I want to go over and get some photos but I'm unsure of what equipment I'll need and can't yet get my SB-600 off camera. Any pointers?

nice shots of the puffer

stringthing. shouldnt really have need for a flash. any flash would likely just give you bad reflections off the glass. good results can be had with just your camera and lens of choice.

nice shots of the puffer

stringthing. shouldnt really have need for a flash. any flash would likely just give you bad reflections off the glass. good results can be had with just your camera and lens of choice.

Although it may not be needed. Strobes can definitely be used. You can put your flash off camera right up to the glass, direct your flash into the tanks lighting system using it as a reflector, aim your flashes from above the tank at 45 degree angles from either side so they will bounce off the tank bottom(a custom white balance may be needed depending on the color of your rocks).

Without a strobe or additional light you may have some issues with getting a deep enough DOF.

This was with two sb600's, camera right and left, set to 14mm, directly against the glass.

5492392692_745428886b_z.jpg

and can't yet get my SB-600 off camera. Any pointers? ...

Here's a pointer... take the top off the fish tank,point the flash straight up, and use a reflctor of some type overhead to bounce the flash down into the tank. Try a colored reflector or some gels on the flash for different looks. It works wonders.

Last edited:
Thanks and all that funky jazz. I didn't use strobes, just the tank lighting for the shots.

I'm going back over to his house this afternoon and will be bringing my small strobes (two SB-R200).

nice shots of the puffer

Although it may not be needed. Strobes can definitely be used. You can put your flash off camera right up to the glass, direct your flash into the tanks lighting system using it as a reflector, aim your flashes from above the tank at 45 degree angles from either side so they will bounce off the tank bottom(a custom white balance may be needed depending on the color of your rocks).

Without a strobe or additional light you may have some issues with getting a deep enough DOF.

This was with two sb600's, camera right and left, set to 14mm, directly against the glass.

Nice Eel.. nicely done too! :)

I own a 120 gallon Saltwater tank. We have strong Metal Halide lighting which is VERY blue. I underexpose a little, but keep the ISO high. No need for flash.

Most reactions

Back