My camera broke...time for an upgrade...

jarnld

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So my panasonic dmc-fz5 broke recently. The motor that moves the lens in and out is broken and if I'm going to have to pay almost 200-250$ to fix it I'd rather just upgrade to a Digital SLR. I've got the Canon rebel and Nikon d40 in my sights.

I know these cameras are pricey. Does anyone have any suggestions for a camera around $400? Doesn't have to be canon or nikon, just a good SLR (digital). This will be my first SLR - as I am just now really getting into photography and shooting on a daily basis.

Thanks guys!

I'm a Canon shooter and love it. On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of the digital rebel but that (like your choice) is completely personal. Take our suggestions and go to a shop and hold them. A camera purchase is a very personal choice.

With that said... any of the digital cameras from any of the brands will perform just fine (Pentax, Sony, Canon, Nikon, Sigma, Olympus). With a budget of $400 for body and lens it is going to be really tight. If I were in your shoes, I'd save more and buy something nice later. If that is not an option, may I suggest a Pentax DSLR and a Kmount manual Takumar lens of of ebay.

You should do yourself a favor and consider where you want to be in 2 or 3 years with your photography. If being an enthusiast is where you want to be then open up your search to include Pentax the the others.

If you really want to go further then Nikon and Canon seem to be the ones to go with as they are staying ahead of the rest of the market. I shoot Nikon and some other people don't. I can't really fault them for that. But... ;)

Find one that you want to keep on your nightstand and take it home!

dude.. big black thing? sexy?

Ahem... whatever floats your boat... :)

I was actually referring to the numerous photographers with white lenses who don't find fault in being a canonite....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back