My camera won't focus up close...what could it be?

daimbert

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently, in March, got into photography. As a teacher, music, I wanted to take better pictures during trips and concert. As a new dad wanted to better chronicle my son as he grows up. Well today I was setting a group shot of my graduating class. I had my Nikon d5200 on a manfrotto tripod with my 1.8 fixed 25mm lens. I stepped away to get a phone call when I hear my camera hit the floor. Apparently one of the students came in late and tripped on the tripod and it fell (yeah sure). I quickly too the camera and checked it out. Nothing seems broke. It turned on fine and all the buttons worked as it should. Took my my group shot and it looked great. Didn't think nothing was wrong until I started taking close up shots. The camera would not get focus on these shots. They all came out blurry. I used to be able to take close up shots of music (for decoration later own) and the camera again cannot get focus. Anything near macro level and the camera cannot get the shot. Tried it on my kit lens and the same deal.

Anyone have any clue what could have happened? I have warranty (adorama) but don't know if it will be covered.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What's the min focus of that lens? I'm assuming 12 inches.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

A few thoughts;

1) Set the lens to manual focusing mode and use to that to see if you can get close focus - it might be that you simply tried a few shots too close for the lens so the AF couldn't get a lock - manual focusing should show this (since you're in control).

2) Ensure that there is sufficient light - close up you're often blocking a fair bit of light from the scene with your body and camera - that and lower ambient light might mean that the AF sensors don't have enough light to work with - try the setup in good daylight to give the AF a fair chance.

3) Ensure that you've no focus limiter switch enabled on the lens - some lenses have focus limiter switches that limit the focus to close or far distances so that when used in those conditions you can "block" a second of the focusing range so that the lens has less focus to "hunt" through (allows for quicker focus lock).

A perfect response above!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the reply Overread. Did what you suggested and overall I think I was just "freaking out". Seems to focus fine during manual focus and like you mentioned I think I was trying to focus too closely, 3 inch vs the minimum focus distance of .98 feet. I just paid so much money and was worried that it broke.

Is there anything I should monitor in the next few days to make sure everything is working? How do I check the lens. The mounting seem more snug on my 1.8g vs the kit lens but don't know if that was the case before as well since I brought the camera, put the 1.8g lens and never used the kit lens again.

thanks

Generally so long as it all works there isn't much to do. A few things like the viewfinder needing the diopter to be adjusted might happen as a result of the jolt of impact, but otherwise if there is any damage it should be fairly evident early on.

As for the mounting, some lenses do fit more snug than others, my 35mm macro fits very snug and tight to the camera, whilst some others are a little looser, but still a firm solid lock.

I think I was trying to focus too closely, 3 inch vs the minimum focus distance of .98 feet.

this is what I was thinking was happened when you mentioned trying to focus close on a 35mm.

Thanks for the reply Overread. Did what you suggested and overall I think I was just "freaking out". Seems to focus fine during manual focus and like you mentioned I think I was trying to focus too closely, 3 inch vs the minimum focus distance of .98 feet. I just paid so much money and was worried that it broke.

Is there anything I should monitor in the next few days to make sure everything is working? How do I check the lens. The mounting seem more snug on my 1.8g vs the kit lens but don't know if that was the case before as well since I brought the camera, put the 1.8g lens and never used the kit lens again.

thanks

Tape a newspaper to a wall and also something with some depth to one side then put your camera on a tripod. Take some shots from varying distances with the autofocus on the newspaper and then check them on your monitor.

If they're all fine then you're good to go. If they're consistently off (check this with whatever else you put in the shot, whether or not it's in focus or everything isn't) and you have finetuning on your camera try adjusting that. If not and it's consistently wonky between lenses I'm afraid you'll need to send it in.

Good luck

Most reactions

Back