Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As mentioned in another thread, I have been revamping my contract and I would like input from fellow photographers on the contents before I take to a legal beagle. Anything in bold is example text only. What I would like in particular is anything that makes you go "You're ****ing crazy!" when you read it. Bearing in mind of course that contract law varies by country, state and province.

I understand that a lot of people are going to be hesitant to click on a link to a '.doc' file, but I hope that at least some of you will trust me enough to know that I run a nice, clean, website (The file is in Word '97-03 format and there are no macros or other 'suspect' things in it). I was going to put onto a web page but the there's a LOT of formatting to fiddle with...

Contract Link

Thanks!
John

There's a lot of detail in, which is fine. However when there is so much detail it can scare a client a way, or also push them away to book another time so that they can read it thoroughly. I do realize the need to protect yourself as well. I would definitely spice it up a bit to make it look more creative or at least put your company logo on it.

As a suggestion do you want to really give back a deposit even prior to 90 days? It might be possible to book another person for that same date, but many people book weddings 6 months in advance. Which will make it harder to book another person for the same date. Most people understand it is non refundable, because it is a business.

Thanks for the input Tim, much appreciated! I am concerned that it's a little long-winded and I'm hoping when I actually get it to the lawyer, he'll be able to help me stroke out a few lines. As far as the aesthetics, I haven't got there yet. I'll be dressing it up with my logo and such once it's all done.

I'm waffling on the retainer refund, and I realize that it's not the best business approach, but I am morally opposed to paying or being paid without a service being rendered. I suspect that's something that will change too.

I'll agree that it is a pretty intimidating contract to see at first. Seems it would be tough to simplify though! Which things will you be able to cut down, without sacrificing any pertinent details? I also agree with spicing it up. I'm all about brand image, so hopefully you can stylize it slightly reflect that (e.g. the logo). Maybe also organize it in a more pleasing-to-the-eye manner somehow? Just throwing ideas out there

I appreciate you posting this by the way... I'm building a business plan in an entrepreneurial class at my university. I would have no clue how to start designing a photo contract otherwise, so thanks! Do ya'll happen to know of any contract building resources? Particularly for photo

I waited too late to open this thread. My eyes are tired and comprehension is fading.

I have to ask if Preamble a normal part of the Canadian vernacular? It seems a bit .... stuffy. Legally fine, but just a bit pretentious.

Secondly (and this is where I stopped)
ii. a Confirmation Retainer of: five-hundred dollars not less THAN fourteen (14) days prior to the date of the event; and

I'll try to pick it up again tomorrow.​

I waited too late to open this thread. My eyes are tired and comprehension is fading.

I have to ask if Preamble a normal part of the Canadian vernacular? It seems a bit .... stuffy. Legally fine, but just a bit pretentious.

Secondly (and this is where I stopped)
ii. a Confirmation Retainer of: five-hundred dollars not less THAN fourteen (14) days prior to the date of the event; and

I'll try to pick it up again tomorrow.​
:er:

Okay, so far the main issue seems to be the length (For those who don't like "Preamble" - alternatives?) of the document. Is that because it is actually too wordy, or simply because it runs 2 1/2 pages? I could easily shorten it physically to two pages simply be removing some of the spaces, but my thinking here was that a document with many short paragraphs is easier to read and less intimidating than one with large blocks of texts.

Assuming that the document is in fact too wordy (and I am fully aware that I tend to run off at the mouth), which articles could be stripped or reduced in length?

Thanks again!

Most reactions

Back