My current Nikon Wishlist

Solarflare

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
- Add an Av/Tv modus like Pentax has them (does the same as your M mode does right now, if Auto ISO is on - and Pentax M does the same as your mode M with Auto ISO off), so you dont have to menusurf on even the most expensive Nikon cameras to switch the damn Auto-ISO on or off for manual mode.
- Change the shortcut of the A modus to Av, and S to Tv, so everyone has the same shortcuts for the same thing. Ricoh, Pentax and Canon all do this, so its kind of a standard now. Also, I think Tv is more intuitive a naming than S anyway.
- Add configurable U1/U2 on your mode dials, on all your cameras, not just the D7x00 and D600. In fact you can easily add up to 5 such user defineable modus for maximum flexibility. Basically this allows to have multiple preconfigured cameras in one and switch them very quickly. See the Ricoh GR cameras for a great example for this. On lower consumer grade cameras like the D5x00 line, you can allow to change the scene modusses (modi?) into user defineable modusses.
- Please give us a full frame camera option with a flipscreen like the D5100/D5200. For like 90% of the time you dont need the screen anyway, so you can flip it around to protect it and can just look through the viewfinder instead. For the rest, the flipscreen is ideal to still see what one is doing even at unusual angles. It would also be nice if said flipscreen would be somewhat more robust and not just full plastic; ironically my old compact Canon Powershot G11 has a much better flipscreen in respect of build. The shoulder display should be gone, too, to make space for all important controls near the right hand. The goal is being able to shoot with the right hand alone most of the time, and to never move the left hand from its position of holding the weight of the camera and possibly operating the lens.
- Please give us monitor screens that can be read even in full daylight, and with 3:2 dimensions. Canon can do it. So why cant Nikon ?
- Please add HSS support on your D5x00 line of cameras. Its absurd to not have this on a DSLR.
- Please allow the camera reset to reset to something user configurable, not just factory default
- It would be nice if Nikon would offer the equivalent for KatzEye screens for their cameras, so one can use full manual lenses more easily (old AI/AI-S, or Zeiss etc)
- About the sensors, obviously Nikon is excellent in this respect. But is it maybe possible to add a global shutter ? For better video, more silent release, higher shutter speeds, and higher flash sync speeds.

I don't know exactly what Tv does, but if it's similar to "S" on a Nikon, which is "Shutter Priority", I fail to see how Tv is a better name than S.

Flipscreens are a gimmick and the shoulder display is crucial. I can get everything I need to know about the camera's current settings with a quick glance at the sholder display.

So you want them to make a Canon or Pentax camera?

I suppose you want a Ford motor in your Dodge truck too?

- Add an Av/Tv modus like Pentax has them (does the same as your M mode does right now, if Auto ISO is on - and Pentax M does the same as your mode M with Auto ISO off), so you dont have to menusurf on even the most expensive Nikon cameras to switch the damn Auto-ISO on or off for manual mode.
- Change the shortcut of the A modus to Av, and S to Tv, so everyone has the same shortcuts for the same thing. Ricoh, Pentax and Canon all do this, so its kind of a standard now. Also, I think Tv is more intuitive a naming than S anyway.
- Add configurable U1/U2 on your mode dials, on all your cameras, not just the D7x00 and D600. In fact you can easily add up to 5 such user defineable modus for maximum flexibility. Basically this allows to have multiple preconfigured cameras in one and switch them very quickly. See the Ricoh GR cameras for a great example for this. On lower consumer grade cameras like the D5x00 line, you can allow to change the scene modusses (modi?) into user defineable modusses.
- Please give us a full frame camera option with a flipscreen like the D5100/D5200. For like 90% of the time you dont need the screen anyway, so you can flip it around to protect it and can just look through the viewfinder instead. For the rest, the flipscreen is ideal to still see what one is doing even at unusual angles. It would also be nice if said flipscreen would be somewhat more robust and not just full plastic; ironically my old compact Canon Powershot G11 has a much better flipscreen in respect of build. The shoulder display should be gone, too, to make space for all important controls near the right hand. The goal is being able to shoot with the right hand alone most of the time, and to never move the left hand from its position of holding the weight of the camera and possibly operating the lens.
- Please give us monitor screens that can be read even in full daylight, and with 3:2 dimensions. Canon can do it. So why cant Nikon ?
- Please add HSS support on your D5x00 line of cameras. Its absurd to not have this on a DSLR.
- Please allow the camera reset to reset to something user configurable, not just factory default
- It would be nice if Nikon would offer the equivalent for KatzEye screens for their cameras, so one can use full manual lenses more easily (old AI/AI-S, or Zeiss etc)
- About the sensors, obviously Nikon is excellent in this respect. But is it maybe possible to add a global shutter ? For better video, more silent release, higher shutter speeds, and higher flash sync speeds.

Funny.. almost all those things are on my NOT-WANT list!

Flip screens are notorious for breaking and they have a hard time being weather tight.

The one thing I want nikon to do is have more wifi capable applications. Wifi sync to phone for remote shutter use and for sending images with out having to up load.

The biggest would be to up their video quality. No more shutter roll, 1080p 60fps and zoom functions.

I wish they'd add an espresso machine. What gives? Pretty simple tech IMO.

I'm still searching for ISO 5.

Pentax has long had the best implementations on AUTO ISO, according to the majority of the camera review sites. Canon for many years lagged seriously behind on AUTO ISO, but has recently seen fit to offer kind of a half-assed implementation of AUTO ISO. While Canon still lags behind other companies on AUTO ISO, that is excused by their almost a full decade of making d-slr's with a Direct PRINT button on them! Hilarious. Buy a $7,999.95 Canon 1Ds camera and hook a printer up to the camera and use the Direct PRINT button on the camera! Now THAT is user-friendly design! Woo-hoo!

To be fair, AUTO ISO really depends on having a sensor that performs really,really,really well across the entire range of ISO values. It was not all that useful in its earlier implementations from most manufacturers. Until recently, I never used AUTO ISO because I never had a camera that had a good enough sensor, or a decent implementation of AUTO ISO.

Pentax was the first company to have a mode where the user could set a "manual" shutter speed and manual apeerture value, and then have the camera match the ISO speed to that.

Now, to a smart photographer, THAT is a highly,highly,high desirable feature. It allows the photographer to pick the exact f/stop for creative depth of field AND it allows the photographer to set the needed speed for motion-stopping, or minimizing camera shake, or for getting a beautiful panning blur effect, or whatever. THAT is the implementation of AUTO ISO that Pentax premiered years ago, and which no other camera maker offered. In fact, I'm not sure if any other maker offers this mode, which is what Pentax called TAv mode.

Here's a quick link to why Pentax's TAv mode is so useful for on-the-go shooting.TAv mode vs. M mode with auto ISO... - Photo.net Pentax Forum

Canon has a real winner in the new U1 and U2 mode dial position; they stole that idea from Minolta's early d-slr offering, which offered the same thing, but with more user pre-sets. The new Canon 5D Mark III and it's U1 and U2 pre-set dial positions would be very useful for some things; being able to pre-program a complex series of camera set-up parameters would be very useful for some situations. Most of the people who say these things are unecessary are pretty closed-minded to the many different ways photography can be done, or they shoot stuff that's dead-simple, and reallty does not stress the "settings" part of photography. For example, if they always shoot at base ISO, with flash, single-frame, on slow-moving subjects, then they never have to deal with huge exposure fluctuations, or subjects that might be moving a lot, or moving from bright to dark conditions very fast 9this happens a LOT on tracks and in various stadiums, where one side is bright sun-lighted, and then the subjects suddenly enter into a shade of a huge grandstand, necessitating sometimes a 7-stop EV shift, and the commensurate ISO shift as well.

Kodak's 14-megapixel, full-frame d-slr from the 2002-2003 era offered ISO 6. The camera was called the 14n. It later morphed into another, called the SLR/n for NIkon, one for Canon the SLR/c. The 14n also offered an interesting image file format called Kodak ERI-JPEG, for Extrended Range Imaging JPEG, with a lot of highlight recovery headroom in JPEGs...sort of a hybrid "JPEG with RAW inside" kinda deal. Kodak realized the value of offering commercial and landscape shooters the really looooooooooow ISO values for long exposure work and other things.

Kodak's 14-megapixel, full-frame d-slr from the 2002-2003 era offered ISO 6. The camera was called the 14n. It later morphed into another, called the SLR/n for NIkon, one for Canon the SLR/c. The 14n also offered an interesting image file format called Kodak ERI-JPEG, for Extrended Range Imaging JPEG, with a lot of highlight recovery headroom in JPEGs...sort of a hybrid "JPEG with RAW inside" kinda deal. Kodak realized the value of offering commercial and landscape shooters the really looooooooooow ISO values for long exposure work and other things.

Allow me to rephrase that.

I'm still searching for a modern Nikon DSLR with ISO 5.

Most reactions

Back