My D800 Dilemma.

Well, just so you know, your camera has a usable ISO range of probably up to 1600 as it is. I wouldn't want you to be cheating yourself out of photos because you're afraid to use a higher ISO...

You'll get better IQ at a properly exposed ISO than you would shooting at ISO 100 and digitally amplifying it in post. Amplifying in post will generate more noise in the image. Just in case you get adventurous. ;)

I think the same rules apply to the D800 as to all other cameras. If you move it during a shot, it will blur. All of the techniques they say to use.....landscape photographers who care about sharpness already use.

Well, just so you know, your camera has a usable ISO range of probably up to 1600 as it is. I wouldn't want you to be cheating yourself out of photos because you're afraid to use a higher ISO...

You'll get better IQ at a properly exposed ISO than you would shooting at ISO 100 and digitally amplifying it in post. Amplifying in post will generate more noise in the image. Just in case you get adventurous. ;)

Thanks for looking out, Don't get me wrong I go up high if I have to but just so used to keeping my ISO or gain down low and setting up my lighting and shot that it's just second nature.

So are you going to go D800 ? or would you like to ?

Thanks for looking out, Don't get me wrong I go up high if I have to but just so used to keeping my ISO or gain down low and setting up my lighting and shot that it's just second nature.

So are you going to go D800 ? or would you like to ?

No, I'm not getting a D800, and I wouldn't want one. I don't need 36mp. I'd much rather continue using a 5Dmk1, 5Dmk2 and possibly a 5Dmk3 when it comes out depending on how many MP's the sensor is. I'm hoping for ~20 or lower.

I'm not sure what all the blurriness fuss is about, mountain out of a molehill maybe. If my camera technique produces a sharp print at my favourite size from a 12 mp camera, the same techniques will produce the same result from a 36 mp camera image printed at my same favourite size. However, if I'm after ultimate sharpness or mega size detailed prints, then the 36 mp camera will be able to produce that as well if I take care to refine my technique to pull the maximum from the camera. Best of both worlds isn't it.

I have no doubt that the D800 is going to be great camera. With that being said, personally, I would wait for actual reviews before buying one.

I have no doubt that the D800 is going to be great camera. With that being said, personally, I would wait for actual reviews before buying one.

Unless some misfortune happens to my D700, I won't be buying a D800. I'm having way too much fun with what I have now, this camera does everything I want a camera to do and more.

it's simple really, the D800 is a "better" "newer" camera than anything that has come before - this includes my beloved D3 and D700.

but...

The D800 makes pictures. So doesn't my beloved D3 and D700! So does your D7000. Yippee! Therefore, I have no reason to buy the newest latest and greatest. People that get paid to shoot tend to think differently compared to pure hobbyists. i see $3000 as an expense. it negates the profit of shooting 1 wedding. I want that profit. My gear works. So, I don't need a D800. if the D800 offered me more, then it is a "Business" Expense. I can justify an expense that makes me more money. if I shot pics of my kids only, i would ditch the D3, D700, and all my glass simply to avoid the arthritis my right wrist is getting from the weight of this stuff!

The take home message is that if you love the D7000, keep it. The D800 is just a newer body. another one will come along. Now, if you want to switch to FX, buy a highly discounted D700 and have a blast.

oh, and i don't want to sort the 2000 images shot in RAW at 50-70mb per file. this is what will happen when the D800 enters the hands of a wedding photog - Ouch!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back