My dads camera !! need a little help

manny212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok mom called me over today and when I arrived she gave me this !!! My old mans camera . Dads been gone for a while but this was his baby wayyyy back when I was a small kid . I remember i was not allowed to touch it !!! HAHA !

I'm aware this is just an old Yeshiva with little or no monetary value , but It means the world to me .

Everything seems to be working , shutter , timer , lenses in great shape as this thing has not seen the light of day in at least 30 years .

I ordered some batteries for the meter , the old mercury ones are no longer made so I got the suggested replacement .

I have been on google all afternoon researching it , but I have two questions.

1. In this pic it looks like the sync terminal has been lost and dad but some electrical tape on there HAHA 1 , will that pose a problem ? should i try to replace ?

Dads camera by manny herreria, on Flickr

My other question is that there seems to be some dust in viewfinder or mirror , any way to clean that ?

If anyone has anything to add regarding this camera or lenses i'd love to hear . Through the roof excited , I though this thing was gone forever !!!!

Im sure Derrell has to know something about this ! LOL

I'm aware this is just an old Yeshiva with little or no monetary value , but It means the world to me .

This is probably a Yashica since a Yeshiva is Jewish school that concentrates on the study of traditional religious texts, primarily the Talmud and Torah.
I've seen a fair number of Yeshivot (the plural) and they are all much larger than the item in your pictures.
:bouncingsmileys:

This is probably a Yashica since a Yeshiva is Jewish school that concentrates on the study of traditional religious texts, primarily the Talmud and Torah.
I've seen a fair number of Yeshivot (the plural) and they are all much larger than the item in your pictures.
:bouncingsmileys:

HAHAHAHA !!! NO NO THATS WHAT I MEANT !!! :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: LMAO . Too funny Lew !!! HA !!

Well, you are pretty lucky.
I was just about to call an Orthodox friend in Miani and tell him about a new kind of Yeshiva, very small and compact and even portable.
You would have had 20 or 30 Chasids at your door, bringing food and inquiring when your new Yeshiva would be open for study.

Would I have looked silly. :1398:

Well, you are pretty lucky.
I was just about to call an Orthodox friend in Miani and tell him about a new kind of Yeshiva, very small and compact and even portable.
You would have had 20 or 30 Chasids at your door, bringing food and inquiring when your new Yeshiva would be open for study.

Would I have looked silly. :1398:

Lew hate to break it to you ,not many Orthodox in MIANI! :1219: but there are a ton in MIAMI !!! HAHAHA !!!!! :clap:

I used one one time (not sure which model) in high school. It belonged to the school and I had to shoot a game for the yearbook and needed more pull than my rangefinder had.

Scrounge around for a film-era blower bulb. They have a soft camel-hair brush on the end that can be used to get the dust off lenses, mirrors and viewfinders.

I would also use an external light meter or your DSLR meter to calibrate the Yashika's meter in case the replacement batteries are a different voltage than original spec.

I used one one time (not sure which model) in high school. It belonged to the school and I had to shoot a game for the yearbook and needed more pull than my rangefinder had.

Scrounge around for a film-era blower bulb. They have a soft camel-hair brush on the end that can be used to get the dust off lenses, mirrors and viewfinders.

I would also use an external light meter or your DSLR meter to calibrate the Yashika's meter in case the replacement batteries are a different voltage than original spec.

Thanks snowbear !!! batteries do differ believe 1.3 to 1.5 . Think thats an issue ?

Not much you can do if there is dust within the viewfinder ... just live with it.
If there is dust on the outer surface of the ground screen, then you can try to blow it off ... do NOT touch the screen.

Dust on the mirror is not easily seen if you look through the viewfinder.

Have you peeled off the tape ?

I'm not sure what the voltage tolerance would be but a simple check wouldn't take that long - meter with the Yashi, then meter with the DSLR/external and note the difference. If it is different, hopefully it will be constant throughout the range. Place a card in the film-box-top holder (back of the door) with the adjustment (+/_ x stops) and you should be good.

Yeah, dust on the mirror shouldn't be a big deal. You can also blow the inside out with a rocket blower.

JC Penny lens!!?? That's pretty cool:icon_camera:

Neat, your dad's camera! What a great thing to have! Camerapedia has an entry from the Yashica TL at Yashica TL

Since the camera premiered in 1972, chances are very high that the shutter, a cloth focal plane that runs horizontally, still works! I had a Yashica FX-3 that was maybe 10 years newer, with the same 50/1.9 Yashinon lens design...and the JC Penny 135mm was no doubt made in Japan by one of about 15 optical companies that made lenses for whoever payed the bill. Most 135/2.8 lenses by the early 1970's were at least decent, some were good; a 135/2.8 is not that difficult to design or to build.

I think the Wein air cell replacement batteries would be the way to go on the TL. I would not worry about the flash synch terminal...unless you insist on using flash! I'm not familiar with the camera...I thought it had a cold shoe, not a hot shoe...that was kind of a crossover era, where some cameras had both X and M-synch ports on them: flashbulbs were invented around 1929, and hung on until the 1970's...

Not much you can do if there is dust within the viewfinder ... just live with it.
If there is dust on the outer surface of the ground screen, then you can try to blow it off ... do NOT touch the screen.

Dust on the mirror is not easily seen if you look through the viewfinder.

Have you peeled off the tape ?

Great advice ! wait TAPE ? what tape !!!

I'm not sure what the voltage tolerance would be but a simple check wouldn't take that long - meter with the Yashi, then meter with the DSLR/external and note the difference. If it is different, hopefully it will be constant throughout the range. Place a card in the film-box-top holder (back of the door) with the adjustment (+/_ x stops) and you should be good.

Yeah, dust on the mirror shouldn't be a big deal. You can also blow the inside out with a rocket blower.

Thanks ! I will have a to test as soon s batteries arrive

JC Penny lens!!?? That's pretty cool:icon_camera:

Right !

Neat, your dad's camera! What a great thing to have! Camerapedia has an entry from the Yashica TL at Yashica TL

Since the camera premiered in 1972, chances are very high that the shutter, a cloth focal plane that runs horizontally, still works! I had a Yashica FX-3 that was maybe 10 years newer, with the same 50/1.9 Yashinon lens design...and the JC Penny 135mm was no doubt made in Japan by one of about 15 optical companies that made lenses for whoever payed the bill. Most 135/2.8 lenses by the early 1970's were at least decent, some were good; a 135/2.8 is not that difficult to design or to build.

I think the Wein air cell replacement batteries would be the way to go on the TL. I would not worry about the flash synch terminal...unless you insist on using flash! I'm not familiar with the camera...I thought it had a cold shoe, not a hot shoe...that was kind of a crossover era, where some cameras had both X and M-synch ports on them: flashbulbs were invented around 1929, and hung on until the 1970's...

Derrel , I knew you would come through man ! A treasure trove of information . Have you written book ? food for thought ! I actually but some batteries in the flash and thing worked when i pressed the shutter , so yea a hot flash shoe . Thanks Again !

Hopefull I will be able to post a few images soon !

I might have read that wrong ... you stated there was electrical tape over the sync port ... just wanted to make sure you peeled off the tape to see what was really underneath.

I might have read that wrong ... you stated there was electrical tape over the sync port ... just wanted to make sure you peeled off the tape to see what was really underneath.

Oh yea that tape . I did peel it off and it seems to lead into body somewhere , where ? I haven't a clue . Ill post a pic tomm .

Most reactions

Back